Vastine AdVentures

Vastine AdVentures

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Celebrating the Big 4-0!!!

The time had finally come…Chris was turning 40!  This is coming from his loving wife who is one year and four months older and is often reminded of this.  So, it was about time he joined this club.  And really, it is a club I have enjoyed so far.

I really love surprises (although I, personally, hate to be surprised,) so the first part of the weekend had to be a secret.  Chris knew we would be heading to Leuven for dinner and the beer festival with the Keowns, but he didn't know other couples would be meeting us there.  He said he knew something was up when I said we had a reservation.  I just played it off that the restaurant would be busy due to the festival, so I wanted to be sure we had a table.
Dinner and drinks were at Domus.  We love their beer.  The food is just alright.  But, I had chicken wings this time, and they were terrific!
We always sit boys at one end and girls at the other.  That night we were the loud Americans.  Oh who cares!  We were celebrating!
Such a great group of friends.  We were missing some as it was the last weekend of spring break, so we were thrilled this part of the group was home to join us in celebrating.  They are pretty awesome!
The sunset that night was amazing, but check this out!  I love being at the right place at the right time.  I actually said, "Oh my lands!" out loud when I saw it.  Good thing Thomas wasn't with.  He totally hates it when I say that.  I have no idea why?? ;)  I guess that really makes me sound like I'm 41...
The next stop was the Zythos Beer Festival in Leuven.  Turning 40 AND having 100 Belgian beer brewers under one roof for you to sample their brew….that is pretty much a dream come true for a guy.  Am I right?!
Here's Mike waiting to try DijkWaert.  Say it out loud.  In Flemish, you're going to leave out that j sound and e sound (or so we think.)  We are so mature…..Hahahaha!
Part of the girls….
…and a few of the guys.  Look at those smiles.  They love this!
Celebrating with a few of our closest friends.  Glasses at the festival are actually, well, glass.  And, as the night progresses, you hear those glasses drop more frequently, and everyone cheers altogether.  And, then by the very end of the night, people just start throwing them…Chris Vastine included.
Sunday night we had dinner at our house.  We had our favorite Thai chef Narttaya do the cooking.  She is fabulous and makes my life so much easier!

These are my FAVORITE!  
I love this picture.  Look at that smile.  She loves her guys.
No coincidence.
This was a family night, so the adults were happy it didn't rain.  Kids had a blast outside!

Alright, we let this one inside.
I told Chris I was only going to post this picture and say he had a kid party.  What are the chances I would get a picture of them all smiling and looking at the camera?  Wow!
And the "adults"...
The tame, silly picture (photo bomb by Thomas)
And, the not so tame picture.  I love these people.
Time to sing to the birthday boy.
Family pic…awwww!

It was such a fun night.  Too bad there was school the next day.  
Chris and I met for lunch on his actual birthday on Monday.  Brasserie de 5 Fonteinen is in Vilvoorde.  The food was great and the view was terrific.  I found a great new spot to eat and take pictures.

 Happy Birthday, Chris!  We hope you had a wonderful time celebrating.  We enjoyed every moment. The only thing that could have made it better was to have Jerry here celebrating with you (Chris is a twin.)  They say life begins at 40.  Oprah said it was her best decade yet.  Here's to making it the best!  
We love you!

Until next time,
Wendy

2 comments:

  1. Great post of Chris and his birthday. I love reading about all the fun you guys have. Glad his surprise was a success. Love the pictures of all the kids. One question! Can Emmerson get any cuter? I don't think so :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday, Chris! Wish you and Jerry could have celebrated together. Glad you had a great time :)

    ReplyDelete