The months seem to go by so quickly here. It's hard to believe March is tomorrow. So, here is a quick recap of the fun we had in January.
Well, this part wasn't so fun. Our first weekend back in Brussels after Christmas break, we attended the going away party for the Egge family. This is another case where dear friends have to leave too soon.
Same night…we were off to Dwight's 40th Birthday party. Such a young thing! His lovely wife, Ericka, hosted the most terrific party. She is quite the party planner!
The following day, it was time for me to celebrate. No need to discuss numbers here. I was thrilled to share the day with my birthday buddy, Jeremy! He was the big FIVE! Thank you to our wonderful friends for making my (our) day so special. It was really terrific!
| I'm so blessed! |
The Krings got me a selfie stick. I've been wanting one for a while now! But, this selfie stick was extra special. It was actual wood with an old cell phone rubber banded to the end. Hilarious!! The best part was Chris and Torben walking around the Grand Place and actually acting like they were taking pictures with it. It was one of those nights where your stomach hurt from giggling. I wish you could have seen the way people were looking at us. A few weeks later, my real selfie stick arrived. :)
| A coffee stop to end a great birthday! |
Thank you to my dear friends in The Gift Boutique for the delicious birthday lunch on Monday. I walked by and complimented the nice table not even realizing it was for me. I can be so dense. What a great surprise! It was turning out to be more of a birthday week! Love it! Hahaha!
January 15th, we had some errands to run in the city. It was just a normal Thursday night. I did notice an increased number of police cars with their sirens blaring. And, traffic was worse than usual. But hey, it's Brussels. That evening around 10 pm, it was reported that 10 raids were conducted around Belgium to halt the plans of those affiliated with ISIS. Apparently, these individuals have been on radar for some time, but following the events in Paris, it was necessary to make a move. It took me a few weeks to make my way back into the city, but then I realized I could not live in fear. They would win if our lives were changed by these events.
| Just admiring our lovely city…oblivious to what was happening. |
Friday, January 16th was a sad day for all of us. It was the last day of school for the Egge family. Thomas was particularly sad because he had to say goodbye to Sophia. On his Instagram he wrote, "Today my girlfriend left ISB. I had to say goodbye and cried a bit. Hope you have a wonderful flight and time in D.C." Bless. His. Heart! It's not goodbye…it is just we'll see you again soon.
SNOW! It was the first time we've seen snow in Belgium in two years. It snowed over Christmas break, but we were in the US.
![]() |
| ISB in the snow. |
| Getting her point across during the game. |
Do you want to build a snowman? Sorry, I couldn't resist.
![]() |
| His snowman had a dead plant for hair. |
Enjoying some Greek food in Brussels. I paused for a moment as I looked across the table. When did she grow up so much??? My beautiful girl….
| I want this floor for my kitchen. |
ISB hosted the Solo and Ensemble contest this year. Thomas performed a solo and earned two blue ribbons. He was also part of a larger ensemble that earned blue ribbons and the highest score!
| His fan club! It's the bow tie. |
I appreciate the mild winters in Belgium. Forty degree temps and a little bit of sun and the parks are packed. I also appreciate how fit the Europeans are and how much they enjoy being outdoors.
Maybe I'll get to February before the end of March!
Until next time,
Wendy








No comments:
Post a Comment