When I was in fourth grade, we went to Sea World. My dad took hundreds of pictures of Shamu the Whale. It was ridiculous, and we teased him the whole time. Well, that was pretty much me with Mont-Saint-Michel. I was just so excited and in awe of it's beauty. I really couldn't help myself. I too was a bit ridiculous.
I've never seen anything like it. You can see it from miles away. It doesn't even look real. It's just out there in the distance all by itself.
 |
| Can you see the rainbow to the left? |
Perched on a rocky islet in the midst of vast sandbanks exposed to powerful tides between Normandy and Brittany stand the 'Wonder of the West', a Gothic-style Benedictine abbey dedicated to the archangel St Michael, and the village that grew up in the shadow of its great walls. Built between the 11th and 16th centuries, the abbey is a technical and artistic tour de force, having had to adapt to the problems posed by this unique natural site. ~UNESCO World Heritage Centre
 |
| It was really not that cold. She will regret the hood when she looks at these pictures in years to come. |
 |
| Magnificent! |
 |
| This is the view when the tide is out. I particularly like this shot because of the shadow of abbey. |
 |
| Inside the walls. |
 |
| Editing her pictures. I don't know where she gets that?? |
 |
| Massive fireplaces inside the abbey. |
 |
| Yes, we reached this point. He is THAT annoying younger brother. |
 |
| The cloister is actually on top of the abbey. |
 |
| Narrow streets in the lower parts beneath the abbey. |
 |
| This is for Chris. He thinks I don't notice the Cat machines. |
 |
| Inside the cathedral |
 |
| Even this little girl was enthralled with the angelic voices of the monks and nuns (at least I think they were monks and nuns....right?!) |
 |
| One last shot... :) |
Our guide from Monday recommended we visit the town of Saint-Malo after seeing Mont-Saint-Michel. So, late in the afternoon we made the drive over. Saint-Malo is a walled port city in Brittany in Northwestern France on the English Channel. Saint-Malo is notorious for PIRATES! That was all the kids had to hear, and they were ready to go!
 |
| It poured rain on our way to Saint-Malo, but this was our reward. I actually pulled the car over because I could see this in the rear view mirror. Unreal! |
 |
| He was hoping to spot some pirates. |
 |
| This was a a really beautiful city. The kids could have climbed on these rocks all day. |
 |
| Last shot with my favorite hat. :( On our way back to the hotel, we drove past Mont-Saint-Michel to see it at night. Chris and I switched places, so I could drive. When I got out of the car I forgot my hat was on my lap, so it must be lying in a field at Mont-Saint-Michel. Sniff sniff..... |
Back to Saint-Malo
 |
| Even the shells were stunning. |
We went into the walled part of the city to see the sunset.
 |
| Fort National in the distance (where we climbed on the rocks.) |
 |
| Amazing! This was one of those pinch me moments. I was standing on the Northwest coast of France watching the sunset....really?!?! |
 |
| Walking along the wall. |
And, that concludes another day of touring. Check back for more beaches, Honfleur, and Étretat.
Until next time,
Wendy
No comments:
Post a Comment