Vastine AdVentures

Vastine AdVentures

Friday, February 28, 2014

Ski Trip to Garmisch-Partenkirchen {Part 3}

Day four of the trip and finally SKI DAY!  This was the kids' first time skiing.  How lucky are they to learn to ski in the Bavarian Alps?!  I learned at Snowstar in Andalusia, Illinois on fake mountains of ice...Whoop de doo!  
Don't they look so cute in their ski clothes. :)
Allison is stressed…can you tell?
The kids did their first day of ski school in the "backyard" of the lodge.  It was a day of basics, so they were not yet ready to go up on the mountain.  With not a whole lot of snow, I was worried how they would do.  Chris and I left them in the hands of their ski instructor Owen and went off with our own ski schools.  I was in "advanced beginner" and Chris was in "intermediate".  But, he was moved to "advanced" about 15 minutes into his lesson.  He only did one day of ski school, but I did two.  Really, I loved my classmates and instructor and could have stayed in the rest of the week.  They were such a fun group.
My lunchtime view ~ It was a beautiful day in the 50's!  We had to take the gondola to this part of the mountain.  There was plenty of snow up here.
On the first day, our class spent a lot of time around the blue runs and ski school slope.  We were all in the same boat…about the same age, hadn't skied in about 20 years, scared to death we might break something.  So Conor, our young 26 year old ski instructor, was very patient and went easy on us on day one.
This is the smile I saw at pick up after day one.  Oh happy day!!!  I was so worried she would hate it.  I knew Thomas would enjoy it.  He's really easy going like that.  But, this one had me worried.  When asked what she thought…she said it was more fun than a One Direction concert….whoa!!!
The backyard!  See what I mean about the lack of snow…..
After skiing from 9:30am-4:00pm, we headed out for night sledding (as if we weren't tired enough.)  This might be the craziest thing I've done.  You go to the top of mountain, it's dark, the slopes are dimly lit, you send your kids down on a sled at 20-30mph, you attempt to break with your feet (didn't usually work,) it takes at least 20 minutes to complete the run, and pray that everyone makes it to the bottom alive.  I had a moment on the first run where I thought I am the most terrible mother!  Thomas looked terrified thanks to Chris who flipped off his sled and nearly went through the orange fence and off piste.  Kristina can't even talk about it without dying laughing.  But Thomas…well he didn't think it was so funny.  But by the second run, he was making it to the bottom before all of us.
The Krings and the Vastines
Ready for some fun!  I should have known it would not be a leisurely activity when they told us to dress in our ski clothes and be sure to bring our helmets.  Uh oh!
Crazy people….but we had so much fun, and I would do it again!
This was late in the night after most people had done at least three runs.  The snow became a little harder to move through in some areas.  At the beginning of the night, it was pretty much ice, so there was no stopping that sled.

Those are very tired faces.  But after dinner, they wanted to do one more run.  And the only adult willing to go was me. Mom of the year!

Needless to say, we all slept very well that night, and I had aching arms from a death grip on that sled for the next three days!

Check back for more skiing fun.

Until next time,
Wendy

No comments:

Post a Comment