Vastine AdVentures

Vastine AdVentures

Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Celebrating in the 16th!

It was time, once again, for a day trip to Paris.  This day was particularly special because it was Cori's birthday.  We were all excited to help her celebrate.  What's better than celebrating your birthday in Paris?  Not much.  We had a 9:43 train time.  Perfect!  Kids were dropped off at 8:25 which gave Lisa, Julie, and myself plenty of time to get to Midi Station (approximately 10 km away.)  We got on Franklin Roosevelt, and it was stopped.  Now, there is nothing really unusual about this as traffic here is generally a nightmare.  But, it continued to be stopped.  We checked our phones for other routes with less traffic and came up with nothing.  After nearly 30 minutes of inching along, we had to abort.  I did it.  I made a left turn across a grassy median to head the other direction.  Rebel!  Now, we had to decide how we were going to get there.  Thankfully, the main road to get to a metro stop was wide open (that NEVER happens) and things were going to be okay.  We got on the metro, had to change lines, trying to stay calm (close the d#%& metro doors), and hoped for the best.  We made it to Midi.  After an attempt to go up the down escalator...oops...we went running through the station.  That was a long, fast run.  We were running up the platform at 9:44, and the train was gone.  It actually left on time.  UGH!!!  Luckily, the other three girls sweet talked the gentleman at the counter who could get us on the next train (30 minutes later) for around 50 euros.  Perfect!  Fortunately, we made it on that train, and he didn't charge us. What a great guy!  And, thankfully the day was not a total loss.

The celebration was due to begin on the train, but with three of us missing, we celebrated at Gare du Nord in Paris. :)  Shoshana had an adorable box of chocolate covered strawberries and champagne for each of us.  What a way to restart the trip!  I cannot think of a better planner, hostess, baker, decorator extraordinaire than Shoshana.  This trip was her idea.  She lived in Paris for three years in the 16th arrondissement and wanted to show us some places off the beaten path.  Love it!  I'm all about venturing away from the tourist spots and learning new areas.  
How adorable is that!
Some bubbly for everyone....a little extra for the birthday girl!
The super cool apartment where Shoshana and her family lived.  Jealous!
No matter the time of year, Europe has beautiful flowers.
And, Paris always has beautiful food!



Group pic!  It wasn't the best weather, but who cares when you are with the best people!



We ventured into the Marais.  I WILL eat here the next time I'm in Paris.

And, we ended our day here.  YUM!
I totally forgot I had Flat Sophie and Flat Sawyer with me, so I don't have a picture of them in front of the Eiffel Tower.  What a terrible aunt!

This is the sweet message I received on the train.  I turned the pic, so you didn't have to strain your neck. :)
Sophie and Sawyer loved the train!  Are my friends good sports or what?!
Beautiful Paris!  I never grow tired of visiting.  





With eight sets of visitors coming this year, this won't be the last Paris post you see for 2015.  Stay tuned!

Happy Birthday, Cori!!!

Until next time,
Wendy

No comments:

Post a Comment