Vastine AdVentures

Vastine AdVentures

Sunday, April 19, 2015

Kraków, Poland {March 2015}

This is why I needed to get home from the States....  
I arrived back in Belgium on Thursday morning around 8:00 am.  I was at the kids' school by 11:30 to assist in hosting the teacher appreciation lunch and then spent the rest of the day (until 6:00 pm) in conferences.  I did the laundry we needed for the trip, repacked, and we boarded a plane at 6:45 am Friday for Kraków, Poland.  

I've have been wanting to visit Kraków for some time now.  They say it's "The new Prague!"  I'll let you know after I've been to Prague.  I think my family would still say Prague was better.  Anyway, we stayed one block off the square in the Orlowska Townhouse apartments.  Our accommodations were very spacious and clean, and the check-in process was great.  I had doubts with check-in being at a separate location, but it worked out perfectly.  Our apartment wasn't decorated as fancy as others I saw online, but it was plenty for us.

Big beds for each of the kids.
Getting logged on...super important!

We traveled to Kraków with the Kuznicki family.  After checking in, the plan was to meet near the square for our bike tour.  We stopped at Coffee Heaven, and it was really terrific.  We did need to find the Starbucks at some point to get my mug, but this place was good and would suffice for now.

Next up was our 5+ hour bike tour.  It was pouring rain and maybe 40 degrees Fahrenheit.  We talked about canceling, but what the heck.  We're here, so we might as well do it.  "There is no inappropriate weather only inappropriate clothing"....or so the Europeans say.  Well, the weather still stunk, and it was not a day for bike riding.



Checking out a well.  To be honest, I can't remember what was significant about it.
A clock similar to the glockenspiel in Munich.  Check out the rain!
Pope John Paul II was not born in Kraków but lived here, and they claim him as their own. 
We biked by the Wawel Castle and its fire breathing dragon.  Bike tours are great because you see a lot.  They are not so great when you can't go in because you need to keep moving.
Our tour took us through the old Jewish Quarter.  The wall that surrounded it was shaped like that of the headstones in the Jewish cemetery.  Subtle cruelty...

We also rode by Oskar Schindler's factory.

 Our stop for lunch and some authentic Polish food.

Part of the evacuation of the Jewish people in Schindler's List took place here.
Cruising Krakow was our tour company.  Bike Mike was great!  He had so much information to share.  Thumbs up from the Vastines and Kuznicki families.  Just hope for better weather if you decide to participate.
The only picture of us all together!  At this point, I barely have a voice and am running a fever.  Good times!  Must. Push. On!
Beautiful Kraków at night!  My pictures will never do it justice because of the weather.  But, Kraków has the largest Medieval square in Europe.  It's gorgeous!
Dinner that night was at Wentzl and was FANTASTIC!  Look at the size of those curtains. :)  
Wild boar...YUM!!!
To. Die. For!
Saturday was an early start.  We booked a bus tour through isango that would take us to Auschwitz and the Wieliczka Salt Mines in one day.  It's ambitious, but with only two days, we really had no choice.  If I could do it again, we would definitely stay another day.

To begin...our visit to Auschwitz.
The entrance to Auschwitz I.  Auschwitz was actually divided into three camps.
"Work Brings Freedom"
This place was haunting.  I have no words that can express the horror of what happened here.


The people were told to write their names in large print on the side of their suitcases, so they would be easier to find when it came time for collecting them....
Some of the statistics posted at the camp.
A collection of eyeglasses.
This room contained 80,000 shoes....80,000 shoes that were collected over the course of just three days.

The location where roll call was done daily.



After our tour of Auschwitz I, we were taken to Birkenau (Aushwitz II). 



The old fireplaces still remain, but most of the buildings are now gone since they were made of wood.
One of the remaining train cars that brought the prisoners to Auschwitz.  Most people were taken immediately to the gas chambers from here.


The Nazi attempt at destroying evidence.


There was so much mud, and it was so cold.  Our guide told us to imagine what it was like standing in mud up to our knees with no clothes on in this weather.  That was what it was like to be a prisoner here.
Definitely not a place for smiling, but I had to include a picture of them.
Next on our tour was a visit to the salt mines.
It was a long way down!
Horses worked in the mines and never lived above the surface.  Can you imagine never seeing the sunshine?
There is a cathedral within the mine.  The acoustics are phenomenal and many concerts are held down here.  That is all salt!


Salt crystal chandelier!

A salty Pope!  He was supposed to visit here but was never able to.


Over 200 km of corridors.  You don't want to lose the group!

Back to the city center to enjoy the end of the evening.

Silly boys!


Just before 10:00 pm, we literally ran over to the mall and grabbed a mug at Starbucks.  Unlike malls in Belgium, this mall was huge and open until 10:00 pm...not 6:00 pm.  Another reason I wish we had more time.

I highly recommend a stop in this city, and if I have the time, I will be back.  I want to see it in the sunshine with blue skies with stops inside the castle, Schindler's Factory, and maybe even the mall.  Fingers crossed!

Until next time,
Wendy

1 comment: