Merry Christmas 2012
 |
| Photo credit: Mackenzie Wheatley at www.chubbyfoot.com |
Merry Christmas!
This was going to be the year I skipped out on a letter because I have
no idea where to print it for a reasonable cost. I’m nearly out of ink at home and haven’t seen cute
paper anywhere. But, then I thought I
had better update you on what we’ve been up to for the past year in Belgium and
figured the blog was a very “green” way to get the letter out to you this year. For those of you that haven't followed the blog, grab your coffee and settle in for a bit. This has been quite a year! First and foremost….THANK YOU! Thank you so much to those of you who have
called, emailed, sent letters, read and commented on our blog, kept in contact on Facebook, checked up on us
this year, and prayed for us! It really
means so much to all of us, and it makes it so much easier knowing we have
friends and family cheering us on. We
are thankful for technology to keep connected with those we miss so much. We are hoping to have more visitors in 2013 (hint, hint),
so if you are interested, please let us know.
It would be our pleasure to have you stay with us.
I
can honestly say that we have no regrets about our decision to move
overseas. We’ve grown individually and
as a family, and it has been a life changing experience for all of us. It has been very challenging at times, but we
are embracing the opportunity we have been given. I think Chris would agree that God has shown
himself very clearly to us over the last year.
Without our faith, we wouldn’t be where we are today. Our hearts are very full and content.
 |
This was our very first picture taken in the Grand Place in Brussels in January.
What do we love about Belgium?? We love our home, ISB (our school), our church, the friends we’ve made, travel opportunities (we’ve traveled to 12 new countries), autumn in the forest, markets, the Grand Place, soccer, beautiful cities, chocolate, waffles, the food in general, and Daddy loves the beer. What do we dislike about Belgium?? We could do without the weather, traffic, everything that takes three extra steps to complete, random store closings (especially on Mondays), the language barrier (but we’re learning French), the high cost of clothes and shoes, Daddy works a lot (but that is why we’re here after all), and our family and friends from home are too far away. We just try not to let those negatives get us down and attempt to embrace the differences and accept them for what they are.
Here's an update on the family.... |
 |
We are proud to announce that Chris has been
promoted and will begin his new position at CAT on January 1st. We are really proud of him! He’s still running, but not as much as he would like
too. He did complete the Brussels 20K in May and did a terrific job! Last year, I wrote how he was excited to run
in the forest, but after getting lost for two hours (which is not uncommon
here) we no longer allow him to run in the forest. He is also busy coaching Allison's basketball team. |
 |
Allison is already 11 years
old and in 6th grade. She is
active in ballet, soccer, basketball, violin, and piano. Her most time consuming activity is homework. But, she is handling it with grace. She has joined in on
the One Direction hysteria and has given up on Justin Bieber. Allison has many new friends here, and enjoys Skyping and texting friends back in the USA. She is just too grown up. I think living the expat life does that too you.
|
 |
Thomas is now 9 years old and
in 4th grade. He too is
playing soccer and piano. He is our
gamer and enjoys his iPod Touch and Wii on weekends only now because he has
mean and terrible parents. Thomas has
one of the leads in our Christmas play at church and will also start horseback riding soon. Thomas’ two close friends moved away at the
end of last year. He was excited to
visit one of them on a trip to Prague this fall. He is hoping to visit the other in
Shanghai…HA!
|
 |
|
I am keeping very busy here as well. I am an active volunteer at ISB and the
American Women’s Club of Brussels, and I've recently started teaching Sunday School. I’m
really enjoying the stay at home life which allows me more time to take care of my family, cook, and keep up with this blog. The above picture is appropriate because I always have my camera in hand, and I've enjoyed photographing our trips and families who have asked. I think of the
four of us, I have adjusted the best to our move thanks to the great friends I
have met here that always keep me busy.
Allison says, “I am living the dream.”
I would have to agree. J |
 |
| Jerry and Amy were our first official visitors! They had a short layover in Brussels on their way to Switzerland. Three hours just wasn't enough, but it was better than nothing. We can't wait for them to come back for a much longer visit! |
 |
| The Wyse-Fishers were our first official overnight visitors. They are living in Northern Ireland, and stopped by our house on one of their European travels. It was so much fun having them here and showing them the city we love. |
 |
| Grandma and Mike arrived in May! We were so glad to see them. We spent two weeks traveling around Belgium and a weekend in Paris. We kept them very busy while they were here. They probably needed a vacation after their vacation. |
 |
| There is nothing like eating dinner at an outdoor café in Paris. I could spend every weekend there! |
 |
| Tim, Cheryl, and Brandon arrived on the 4th of July! In a little over a week, we visiting cities around Belgium, Monschau Germany, Amsterdam, and Paris. They went on and enjoyed a weekend in London. What a blast! I'm already planning their return for next year...they just don't know it yet. |
 |
| A trip to Disneyland Paris was our first official trip out of Belgium. It was my choice for my birthday. Loved it, but it was FREEZING! Disney is not supposed to be cold. |
 |
| In February, we met the Kirschenmann family in Edinburgh, Scotland. What a beautiful city! The kids loved eating at The Elephant House where Harry Potter was written. |
 |
| Two trips to Germany in March...Monschau and Cologne. |
 |
| Thomas turned nine years old in March! |
 |
| For spring break, we took quite a road trip. We spent 20+ hours in the car...with no DVD player. It was a "looking out the window" kind of trip. It was old school for my kids. LOL! We started the trip with a drive through Luxembourg and a stop at Legoland in Germany. |
 |
| Then, we were on to Neuschwanstein Castle and Munich! |
 |
| Of course, you can't go to Munich without a stop at the Hofbräuhaus. |
 |
| We had a very somber visit to Dachau Concentration Camp. |
 |
| We then drove to Salzburg, Austria. What a beautiful city, and we loved the Sound of Music Tour (okay, well maybe almost all of us loved the tour.) Here we are in front of the gazebo from the movie. |
 |
| Salzburg, Austria |
 |
| Last stop on our spring break tour was a night in Rothenburg, Germany. It is a perfectly, quaint walled city. Here we are doing the Nightwatchman Tour. The guide was a cross between Jerry Seinfeld and Gene Wilder. He was hilarious! |
 |
| Tulips in the Netherlands in the spring. |
 |
| A trip to London to see the Kirschenmanns again. What a great weekend! |
 |
| The kids survived their nearly week long field trips to Germany and the coast of Belgium. It was so nice to have them home safe and sound! Thomas took another field trip to France this fall. He liked the trip to the coast better. I think five days with no calls home was a little long for him. |
 |
| Allison turned 11 in June! |
 |
| School's out for summer (even though we felt like it was halfway through summer at the end of June!) |
 |
| After our visitors, the kids and I headed home for 3 1/2 weeks in the summer. It was awesome to see family and friends...and experience HEAT and SUN! We were the most ghostly white people in Illinois. It didn't take long for the kids to get those summer tans back. |
 |
| Chris had a work trip to the states while we were home, so we were able to attend his 20 year class reunion. What a fun night! |
 |
| It wasn't long before the kids were heading back to school starting 6th and 4th grade. Geesh! How do I stop time??? |
 |
| In September, we took a "mom and kids" long weekend trip to Mallora, Spain. I may never live this trip down. Chris was not too happy when he saw the pictures. Looks like we may be visiting Mallorca again. |
 |
| The tables turned in October when Chris and the kids went to Prague with the DeKunder family. I made a quick trip back to the US for my grandma's funeral. :( It really worked out for the best. My family had a terrific weekend, and I was exactly where I needed to be. |
 |
| Our last big adventure for the year was a trip to Rome. We took in all of the fantastic tourist spots and learned a ton! Technically, this counts for two countries because Vatican City is a country too. We are now enjoying the Christmas season with markets around the area. Europe is really beautiful during the Christmas season...and we've even had quite a bit of snow (by Belgium standards!) |
 |
And, there you have it. Our year in a nutshell. I had to include one of my favorite pictures from the last 12 months. This pretty much sums up outdoor play in Belgium. They make the most of the weather. :)
Thank you for bearing with me on this extra long Christmas letter!
We hope that in the midst of
the season’s chaos…you can still see the star…hear the angels singing…and find
your way to the manger. Remember if your
journey ever brings you to Belgium…there is…room at our inn.
Love,
Chris, Wendy, Allison, and Thomas
|
A most beautiful Christmas letter, dear Vastine family! Thank you for sharing your recap of a fabulous year, and may the new year hold many exciting adventures in store for you as well. Wishing you a blessed Christmas!
ReplyDeleteLove,
The Largent Family
Loved getting your Christmas card and reading your letter! Have a great Christmas! Hope to see you soon! The kids say HI too! Love, The Scheck Family
ReplyDeleteLoved reading the Christmas Letter and all your blogs. It makes you feel like you are right there with you. So glad that your family got this opportunity, enjoy ever bit!!!
ReplyDeleteLoved catching up here, Wendy. I'm not surprised to hear you are adjusting the best. Your sunny, optimistic personality could adjust fairly quickly about anywhere, I'd guess. Glad to hear that all of you are enjoying your new adventure in Belgium/Europe, and we miss you! Love,
ReplyDeleteCassie and Curt