Vastine AdVentures

Vastine AdVentures

Sunday, December 2, 2012

A Sensational Sunday!

Our sensational Sunday started when the alarm went off, and I wearily opened my eyes.  First thing I always do is check my Facebook (lame..I know) before dragging myself out of bed.  The first post I saw said there was snow in Belgium (thank you, Hope.)  What?!?  Could it be???  I literally shot out of bed, tore open the shutters and threw up the sash...really I just opened the curtain, and then giddily ran around the house waking everyone up.  They did not share my enthusiasm as we got to bed VERY late the night before.
The snow is so pretty, but with no snow plows or even a shovel at our house,  you kind of pray that it doesn't stick around too long.  Or pray that you can just stay home and enjoy it.  Staying home was not an option on this sensational Sunday.
Before setting off for church and a preservice practice for the nativity play, Allison enjoyed picking the snow from outside her window and eating it.  She said it literally tasted like the roof.  Blah!  How does she know what a roof even tastes like? ;)
As if being the first Sunday in Advent wasn't sensational enough...the kids took part in their first communion.  There was no pretty white dress with a dainty little veil or a handsome black suit.  Instead, they were bundled in their coats (as they can't seem to get the heat going in our church), and they stood by our sides and those of other members of our congregation.  We've started going to the front of the church and standing around the altar to receive communion.  I really like the change, and it was even more special with our kids up there with us...partaking in a really pivotal event as they grow in their faith.  Maybe it wasn't quite as pivotal as I thought when Thomas whispered to me on the way back to our pew, "That juice was awesome!" 
After their "first communion" we snapped a picture of them with Pastor Murray. 
Next up...we were off to our first Christmas market ever.  We stopped in the Grand Place to see the crèche.  Thomas thought the people were a little too real looking for him.
The Vastines and Westercamps
My girl was all smiley on this chilly day in Brussels.
I pretty much had to beg for this shot.  That is really a pathetic attempt at a smile.
We headed over to the Sablon only to find out that market ended yesterday...story of my life!  So, we had a waffle, dodged the rain under the awning of Leonidas, gave a shout out to Sinterklaas, and made our way over to Pierre Marcolini for some really good chocolate. 
Good choice little ones!

I chose cheesecake....banana and caramel to be exact...and it was fabulous!

Making our way to the Brussels Christmas Market....I've known there were sections of the wall that once surrounded Brussels still standing in a few places around the city.  Well, I think we found one today.  Maybe? Finally!
Another crèche near Manneken Pis.  This one was all marionettes.  And, there was no baby Jesus...only a pig...am I missing something?  I get that baby Jesus will probably show up on Christmas Eve...but a pig?
Love the greenery now get that boy some clothes!  Brrrr! 

This was the most unique carrousel we've ever seen.  Check out Thomas in the chameleon.  I couldn't find him anywhere (no pun intended) and was a little worried.  Chris said he was in the frog....well no wonder I couldn't find him!  This is coming from the guy who thought Jiminy Cricket was also a frog.  What is it with him and frogs??

LOVE the lights! 

The "Christmas tree" in the Grand Place.  I'm not really a fan.  I like a good old fashioned Christmas tree.



From our table at dinner, you could see the light show going on.  The tree was all kinds of funky colors and designs and so were the buildings.  Alright, alright...it was pretty cool, but I still like the traditional tree better.

The only things not so sensational about this Sunday were...1. I forgot to take Flat Stanley to the market, and he let us know just how ticked he was when we got home.  2. We were so excited to eat at Hard Rock Cafe, and the food was cold.  I mean really cold. and 3. I think Thomas shared his pink eye with me.  We'll see how that looks tomorrow.

I have some past things I need to post, so I'll get you caught up this week.

Until next time,
Wendy






2 comments:

  1. Wendy, I agree with you on that modern Christmas tree sculpture thing . . . it does nothing for me either! It was pictured in our Journal Star today and didn't look any better. Love the photos!

    Love,

    Julie

    ReplyDelete