Vastine AdVentures

Vastine AdVentures

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Field Trip to Florence

On Sunday, May 26th, we sent our girl on another school trip.  Florence is THE trip the kids look forward to at ISB.  Allison could not wait!!!  When I think back to my 16 years of teaching and field trip planning, I cannot imagine planning this trip.  I thought a trip to New Salem was complicated.  Really??  Imagine five classes taking two buses to Paris and then an overnight train to Florence.  Then the five classes are sent to five hotels to enjoy their week.  Thursday night they would get back on the train to Paris and bus home Friday morning to Brussels.  I'm exhausted just thinking about it! 

One stipulation...you must be able to carry your own things.  
Packed and ready to go!
Very excited girls.
You may take one quick picture...please don't embarrass me. :)
 After the kids had their bags tagged by color, it was time to load the buses. 
God bless the teachers. 
Rosie and Allison 
Let's get this trip started! 
There she goes.  It took everything inside me to not cry! 
Quite the caravan.

She's taking a picture of me with her touch.  I'm still trying not to cry.  But, as I type this...I'm crying.  What a sap!
 The school does a wonderful job of updating the website each night with pictures of the kids.  She looked so happy each night, so I knew she was having a great time.  She was so nervous about a presentation she had to give on the trip, so I relieved to see pictures of her giving the speech on Tuesday.  I knew she would feel a sense of relief when that was over.  Unfortunately, they didn't have the amazing Italian weather we were all hoping for.  It was more like Brussels weather.  But, I don't think that dampened their spirits at all.  

On Friday afternoon at 4:00 they returned to school!
A sight for sore eyes.  That smile says it all! 
Brandi and Farrah reunited! 
We coordinated!  Obviously that wasn't planned.
 I had gone out to the buses, but Thomas stayed on the playground.  Once we gathered all of her things, we went to meet him.  His reaction was the BEST.  He ran out of the gate to greet her but was promptly stopped by the guard.  I think he thought Thomas was trying to escape without a parent. :)  Once she was inside the gate, he threw his arms around her.  
What a sweet reunion! 
They really missed each other.  Don't let them tell you differently.
 Once we were back home, it was the usual Friday afternoon after school.  The iPods were out and relaxation could begin.  This is how I found the two of them.  
Warms a mama's heart. 
iPhone pic :)
It is hard to let the kids go on these trips.  I'm a bit of a control freak you know.  Before moving here, I could never imagine sending them.  But, everything about the trips they have attended has been so incredibly valuable to them...not only academically but socially.  When they get home they seem so much older and more responsible.  I'm so thankful for their amazing teachers and their dedication to daily life in the classroom, as well as a commitment to making these trips ones they will always remember.

Stay tuned for Allison's post on Florence. :)

Until next time,
Wendy

1 comment:

  1. So...I am crying with you. The cuddling picture is the best. I love that this experience is growing them closer as siblings. As long as they have each other - they have a cheerleader and president of their own fan club. One Direction will come and go - but a brother and sister are forever. God bless the Mom and Dad raising these fine children. Miss you so much - but so happy for your experiences. Kiss my kids...and a hug to Chris. Love ya! Can't wait to read Allison's reflections on Florence.

    ReplyDelete