Please pardon my blog hiatus. I was having a fabulous time in the USA visiting friends and family. We have officially been in Belgium for one year now, which means I've been blogging for that long as well. I was checking stats today and have had over 44,000 hits. Wow!!! Thank you so much to all of my readers out there. It means so much to know you are following our family's adventures.
I really wasn't sure how to pack the massive number of pictures I took over the holidays into one blog post, so I will highlight events in a few posts. Holiday pictures will be far more interesting than the drab Belgium weather we've experienced since our return. I've heard there was nothing but rain while we were gone, so I am thankful we had a break from it. But, we did encounter snow (every time we traveled) and freezing temperatures in Illinois. Not sure which I dislike more???
 |
| I want to start with our "winter" parties that were held on the last full day of school. I am a room mom for Thomas' class, so unfortunately, I was not able to visit Allison's room. The kids enjoyed tons of snacks, making pretzel wreaths, and decorating cookies. The class also made treat bags for the 16 guards around the school grounds. This is one of the most memorable events, for me, from this Christmas season. A simple gesture to teach the kids about giving took on even more meaning just days after the Newton tragedy. Following those events, I am even more thankful for the security around our school...badges that are necessary to enter the gates...guards on duty throughout the day and night...students are unable to leave the playground without the escort of a guardian...and the list goes on. |
 |
| The guards' reactions were priceless! |
 |
I was so happy to run into Allison on the playground. :)
The kids missed the last half day of school to catch our flight home. Being a former teacher, I do not support this :), but the price difference in tickets from Wednesday to Thursday was crazy. And, apparently God planned snow for Illinois on Thursday and needed us to get home before the cancellations. He is so good to us! |
 |
And, now the fun begins...and the insane amount of driving. :) Thursday morning, we traveled to my sister's town (45 minutes away) to see my adorable niece and nephew in their preschool Christmas program. My nephew is on the left in the glasses and his sidekick, my niece, is in the black bow. They did such a great job, and we were so happy to be there for the big day.
On Friday, we were off to Morton (1 hour 45 minutes) to surprise the kids' friends at school. Mrs. Phillips had her class close their eyes and told them she had a very special Christmas present for them. When they opened, Thomas was standing there. They all shouted his name. He felt so special! It was just awesome!

|
 |
And big hugs for my teaching partner and best friend. I miss our days together at Lincoln School. I'm glad she is still my friend even though I left her. ;) Off to 6th grade to surprise Allison's best friend Leksi. Leksi was told we would not be visiting Morton until January 2nd! Leksi is in the red. I just love surprises!!!
 |
 |
Still in Morton, the kids were able to play in their annual Christmas piano recital. We Skype lessons each week with their teacher. Hey, whatever works, right!?! After a great day, it was back to my moms that evening because....
Saturday morning, we headed to Hartwick, Iowa, my dad's hometown, to visit with my aunt, uncle, and cousins. This little town of less than 100 people is where I always hoped my parents would move. I loved everything about it as a kid. As I reflect, I guess what I really loved was being there with my family and all the special times we spent together....but there is something really special about Iowa...it's like Heaven you know! Have you seen Field of Dreams? :)
We were so excited about the snow. Driving in it on Friday was absolutely insane, but it was really pretty and great for some outdoor shots. Disclaimer: No children were harmed with freezing cold temperatures and the absence of coats. :) |


 |
| Notice she is glasses free. She got contacts while we were in Morton on Friday. All of a sudden, she looks too grown up. |
 |
| Back to Grandma's house on Saturday night for a lazy day on Sunday. I finished Christmas shopping, and then kids opened their gifts in the afternoon. |
It was a fabulous start to our time in the US. More to come tomorrow.
Until next time,
Wendy
Good start to a great Christmas vacation. Love you!
ReplyDelete