Vastine AdVentures

Vastine AdVentures

Friday, February 22, 2013

Barcelona ~ Day 3

Have I mentioned that trips in Europe are anything but relaxing?! :)  We were up and at 'em on Saturday morning to see more of the city.  Our apartment was in the Gothic quarter and walking the streets looked like this....
We found it easy to get lost, and that was fine during the day.  At night, it was a bit different.  As Rick Steeves said, "The area can get a little seedy at night."  He wasn't kidding.  And, I never had the apartment addresss with me or in my phone.  Livin' on the edge I tell ya. :)  Thankfully, I have a decent sense of direction.
We made a breakfast stop at Dunkin' Donuts for American sized coffee and donuts (gasp!)  I know some folks might look at this as cheating and not taking in the whole experience.  Whatever?!?  That frosted donut didn't stand a chance against me.  I should have had two while I had the chance!
Another cool door on our walk through the Gothic Quarter.  My assumption is this is Salvador Dali.  Right?
It was back to the market to have another look around.  Chris really loved this place.  Most of the little sea creatures seen here were still alive.

Thomas wasn't too sure about the choices of meat.  My animal lover was a little distraught.
Always thinking of our friends back in Morton....the Pumpkin Capital of the World!
We hopped on the bus at just the right time and missed the pouring rain.  For once, we were thankful to be on the lower level of the bus.  We took a lengthy ride out to the Olympic Stadium.  This was the site of the 1992 Olympics in Barcelona.  It was the first stop at an Olympic Stadium for all of us, so that was neat.  
In pictures I've seen from the Olympics, these columns were lit up.
The stadium!
A little less impressive inside.  We should have done this before the Barcelona fútbol stadium.
A family pic taken by three sweet American girls who are studying abroad in Spain.


You can see the columns lit up in this picture.  
The site of the Olympic flame.
I'm not sure what it is....but our kids always lose teeth on vacation.  It's a running joke with Allison.  She even lost a tooth on Splash Mountain at Disney World one year.  This time, they BOTH lost a tooth on the trip.  Allison finally lost the tooth that has been dangling out of her head since November.  The Tooth Fairy let her keep that nasty tooth.  Yuck!
Enjoying tapas!
While Chris and I pondered over a painting to take home with us, the kids entertained themselves by running back and forth up these little embankments.  It really doesn't take much to keep them entertained.  We love that they appreciate the simple things in life.
A visit to the aquarium was in order.  I wanted to do the Picasso Museum but was voted down.  So, the aquarium it was....


Even though it was chilly, we had to find our way to the beach and pretend we were enjoying the hot sun.   Time for a few pictures of the kids.  I just love them so much!





And, that concludes our trip to Barcelona.  It was a nice getaway, and we are looking forward to another adventure this weekend.  The Harry Potter Studio Tour is tomorrow, and it's "wand week", so the kids will learn the proper techniques to casting spells.  And, Sunday is the 1D concert.  Allison is just excited beyond words.  I hope the weekend is everything they have dreamed it will be!

Until next time,
Wendy

No comments:

Post a Comment