Friday was really an amazing day! Our first stop was Gaudi's unfinished masterpiece the Sagrada Familia. His work on the cathedral began in 1883 until his death in 1926. Construction has moved forward, and I read the projected completion date is set for 2026. But really, who knows for sure?? I'll be sure to go back and see it when it is unveiled in all of its finished glory...and without scaffolding and cranes! I am proud to say that our admission price goes toward the completion of the cathedral, so it will be neat for the kids to tell their kids, or their grandkids, that they had a little bitty part in finishing the masterpiece.
 |
| This side of the church is the Nativity facade and the only part of the church Gaudi actually saw finished. It shows his original vision for the cathedral. When undertaking this very long project Gaudi commented, "My client" -meaning God- "is in no hurry." |
 |
| On the other side of the church is the Passion facade and follows the scenes that lead to the death of Jesus. This side is very controversial because many believe it is not in line with Gaudi's vision. I personally found this side to be very moving. I was in awe of the emotion on the faces of the statues. It was really beautiful. |
 |
| Thank you to my friend Mackenzie for taking a similar picture last year. I was so anxious to find the word Jesus on the door that I accidentally cut out the grid above. In the grid, the numbers add to 33 which was the age of Jesus when he died. |
 |
| When you enter the doors on the Passion side, this is your first glimpse of the church. Chris, Allison, and Thomas had no idea what the inside looked like, and their reactions were priceless. It was really beyond anything I have seen...and in the last year...I've seen A LOT of cathedrals. :) |
 |
| The amazing ceiling....the pillars were designed to look like trees. |
 |
| Jesus on the cross at the altar. |
 |
| Thank you to my friend Shayna for suggesting we buy tickets to go into one of the towers. We were able to get a glimpse of the workers outside. How would you like to work like this everyday?! |
 |
| The spectacular view from the top! |
 |
| As we made our way down, the kids waved to their fans below. :) |
 |
| The last staircase to descend down to the church was so cool! The center section was open, and I was able to capture one of my favorite shots from the trip. |
 |
| The audio guide was paired with videos around the church. We learned so much! I just love watching him deep in thought. |
 |
| The sunlight in the cathedral was magnificent. I tried to capture it the best I could. |
 |
| The pillars stand 45 meters high. |
 |
| You could truly feel His presence. |
 |
| Admiring the Nativity facade...Gaudi's vision of Jesus' young life. |
 |
| More scenes from the Passion facade. |
 |
| Taking a step back to take it all in. |
 |
| Visiting the Sagrada Familia was one of the most memorable experiences I have had since moving here. The information about this cathedral and Gaudi as an artist is so interesting. I hope the kids remember the information they learned, but I'm pretty sure the only fact they took in and will remember was that he died after being hit by the #30 tram in Barcelona. Tragic really. |
 |
| After the Sagrada Familia, we headed to Parc Güell. Gaudi intended for this English garden style park to have 60 houses on it, but it was a total flop in that respect. I think there are two houses. But, for the visitors of today, it is a beautiful park to visit. |
 |
| Posing with the lizard/chameleon that has become an emblem for the park. |
 |
| This mosaic bench snakes around the main terrace that overlooks the city. |
 |
| Gorgeous colors everywhere! |
 |
| Touring the beautiful park and enjoying the views. |
 |
| We chose to spend two days using the hop on hop off buses. We felt the price was steep, but we were able to see the whole city! |
 |
| Next stop...the fútbol stadium of F.C.B. This was another pricey experience in Barcelona but well worth it for the soccer lovers in our family. |
 |
| We were able to sit in the press box. Nice view! |
 |
| Last big stop for the day was La Pedrera (Casa Milà)...another Gaudi masterpiece. Did you know Gaudi has seven properties on the UNESCO World Heritage List! On this tour, you start at the top on the roof and work your way down. These strange figures at the top are actually chimneys. |
 |
| Even from here, you can see the Sagrada Familia. |
 |
| Of course, the rooftop is not flat. It's covered with steps in a wave pattern around an open courtyard in the center of the building. |
 |
| Casa Batlló...another work by Gaudi. |
After leaving Casa Milà, we ran into my friend Eve and her husband Rick. I had no idea she was going to be in Barcelona. Too funny! We enjoyed a nice walk with them, and then were were off to our traditional dinner at Hard Rock Cafe. We try to hit one in each city if they have one. I must say, I am either experiencing Hard Rock burn out, or this one was really terrible. Needless to say, I would not recommend it.
 |
| One last shot of the stadium. |
I think we were back to the apartment and asleep by 9:00. We were exhausted and had to gear up for one more fun-filled day.
Until next time,
Wendy
Wow, Wendy! These pictures are some of my favorite that you've taken. I love the one that you liked a lot on the stairs and where you can see the sun coming through the windows. Stunning....definitely God:) Do you ever watch Samantha Brown from the travel channel? She's a dork, but I love her and she's traveled throughout Europe numerous times and always says that her favorite city is Barcelona. I can't wait to see what your favorite city is when your done with your travels there:)
ReplyDeleteThank you so much Meghan! You made my day. I'm going to have to look up this Samantha Brown. I'm sure she would have some great tips for me. So far, my favorite city is still Paris. I'm trying to get there again this spring. :)
DeleteWendy, I have seen these sights on Rick Steves' show, and I am delighted that your family was able to visit them in person! Glad you had such a wonderful time exploring!
ReplyDeleteLove,
Julie