We were very fortunate to head back to London for another great weekend. There is just something about being in London that takes a weight off my shoulders. It makes me feel so much better knowing I can walk into any shop, restaurant, or hotel and speak English. I don't realize how much of an impact it has on me on a daily basis until I set foot in London and then return home again. I told Chris we needed to make quarterly visits. I'm not sure he is on board with that idea. ;)
So, part 1 of the kids' Christmas present was a trip to the Harry Potter Studios about an hour outside of London. This is the studio where the cast spent 10 years filming scenes for all eight movies. We scheduled a tour through Golden Tours. The cost included the tour, as well as your bus ride to and from London.
 |
| Outside the studio are the giant pieces from Wizards Chess. The excitement was definitely building. I felt like such a kid all day! |
 |
| Comparing our handprints with Hermione, Harry, and Ron's. |
 |
| The really cool and understated (ha) bus that takes you to and from London. |
 |
| At the entrance, cast pictures lined the room, the blue car from the whomping willow scene was hanging from the ceiling, and Starbucks was right inside the door. It was already proving to be a great decision to do this tour. The studio also has a very nice cafe along with Starbucks, so there is no need to pack food. We had a very nice lunch right on site. |
 |
| We had some time to kill before our tour, so we shopped in the awesome gift shop. Nothing was purchased at this time...because at this time...they would have bought everything in the store. We told them they had to really think about what they wanted. |
 |
| Trying out the sorting hat. |
 |
| Just before entering the tour, they have Harry's cupboard under the stairs on display. |
 |
| You enter a movie theater and watch a short video narrated by Daniel Radcliff, Rupert Grint, and Emma Watson. The film highlights what life was like filming on this location for 10 years of their lives. In the film, they are standing in front of this door. When it's over, the screen lifts, and it's the real door. We all gathered around the door, and when they opened it we were standing in the Great Hall. And of course, the tears started for me. Chalk it up to another thing I am blessed to see that I never imagined I would. |
 |
| Costumes from the four houses were on display around the room. We HAD to get a shot of the Hufflepuff uniforms...because that is Cedric Diggory's costume from the Tri-Wizard Tournament. And, we all know who wore that costume. :) I made the kids stand in front of it to make it more legit. And, then the guide said, "Ladies you may want to get a shot of this costume since it was worn by Robert Pattinson." Apparently, I'm not the only one that gets excited about it. |
 |
| The professors' costumes on display just as they stood in the movie. |
 |
| The Gryffindor costumes...Harry's first robe is on the left. He only wore that cute little hat in one scene. Ron's shabby robe and Neville's sweater were also on display. |
 |
| Costumes from the Yule Ball in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. |
 |
| Using their wand skills on a death eater. |
 |
The Gryffindor boys' dormitory These beds were built for 11 year old boys. By the time they finished filming the movies, the beds were too small for them. They had to film scenes curled up, or they couldn't show their legs in the scene because they didn't fit in the beds anymore. |
 |
| The Gryffindor common room |
 |
| It was wand week at the studio. There was a lot of practice using wands! |
 |
| The sword of Gryffindor in Professor Dumbledore's office |
 |
Professor Dumbledore's office The details were incredible! |
 |
| The sorting hat! |
 |
| The Goblet of Fire |
 |
| The kitchen in the Weasley's burrow. |
 |
| Potions class |
 |
| Learning and practicing their wand skills. |
 |
| Bad guys! |
 |
| The fireplaces at the Ministry of Magic |
 |
| There are only two places in the world to get Butterbeer...here at the studio and Harry Potter World at Universal Studios. It was yummy! It tasted a lot like a cream soda with a lot of cream on top. |
 |
| Got Butterbeer? Sorry, I couldn't resist. |
 |
| Trying out Hagrid's motorcycle. |
 |
| Tom Riddle's grave |
 |
| Hanging out on Privet Drive. |
 |
| Thankfully, the Dursleys were not home. |
 |
Hogwarts Bridge My theater majors were pretending to be chased by Voldemort and his followers. |
 |
| The Knight Bus |
 |
| Creepy little Lord Voldemort....you could press a button and make him move. |
 |
| Lily and James Potter's house |
 |
| Diagon Alley |
 |
| Outside the Weasley's joke shop |
 |
| We were able to see the models and drawings that were made prior to the creation of the sets. |
 |
| Mr. Ollivander's wand shop |
 |
| This model was incredible and took 40 days to build. It is a complete model of Hogwarts Castle and the grounds around it. |
 |
| It was amazing!!! |
 |
| Both kids chose to take a wand home. Thomas chose Professor Snape's, and Allison chose Hermione's. They also enjoyed eating chocolate frogs. :) |
 |
As you finish the tour, this is on a screen in the wand room. Tears were flowing again. :) These books and movies have brought my family so much joy. This experience was really a dream come true. If you ever have the opportunity to visit, you will not be disappointed.
Until next time, Wendy |
Just reading that last quote in your picture makes me cry, and I wasn't there!! I so wish I could go on this tour! Love these books more than I can say! I love the shots of the kids practicing with their wands! Reminds me of Harry and Hermione! :)
ReplyDeletethank you so very much for sharing these pictures! What an awesome experience, I hope someday I can see this in person!
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to go there! (I hope my mom is reading this!)
ReplyDeleteLove Leksi (Kelllllllllllllllly?)
We'll be sure to go there!
Delete