There was one thing we had to accomplish this year...and that was to get to England before the Kirschenmann family moved back to the US. Well, that was going to happen sooner than later, so thankfully we both had the same free weekend before they head home. It's amazing how much two CAT wives can accomplish in one morning when it comes to trip planning. :) We got our Ryan Air tickets purchased to fly to Manchester (16.99 each way per person :)) and Christie booked our three hour train ride from Manchester to Durham.
We took the kids out of school on Friday (gasp!) so we could leave on Thursday night.
 |
| This is how we all felt around midnight near the end of our train ride. |
But the long travel route was worth every minute when Christie was standing there waiting for us at the platform. They live in Hartlepool which is maybe a 25 minute drive from Durham, so it was off to bed as soon as we arrived to rest up for a full day of fun on Friday.
Off to Alnwick Castle!
Pronounced ANNICK....this castle is located in Northumberland. Alnwick is home to the Duke of Northumberland and is very much a living,working castle (for the last 700 years.) We were able to tour the inside (no pictures please,) and my favorite part was all of the family pictures around the house. It felt a little strange to be walking around their home, but at the same time I was so thankful for the opportunity. We were standing in a grand library when I noticed there was a large TV at one end with two beanbags in front of it and a stack of movies. This was definitely the place they call home. I wonder what it is like to pretty much live in a museum???
 |
| You can see how far north we were in England. |
Of course, this is an amazing medieval castle, but what my kids cared about was that scenes from the first two Harry Potter movies were filmed here. Important stuff I tell ya!
 |
| It really is impressive! |
 |
| So excited to go in and check it out. I didn't hear one complaint about seeing another castle. |
The grounds on the inside were just as impressive as the outside. For the Potter fans, this courtyard was used to film the whomping willow scene. Just insert fake tree.
 |
| The Union Jack proudly flying atop the castle. |
 |
| England and its wind.... |
Before the official "Battleaxe to Broomsticks" tour, we thought we had better eat something, so we walked back to the gardens for sandwiches. We were a bit early in the season, but the gardens were still beautiful.
 |
| Our fabulous hosts! |
Then it was back to the castle for the tour and that fabulous English misty rain.
 |
| I could have used a wide angle lens...right, Christie? ;) |
Standing at the castle and looking out, there is this small clump of trees. Warner Bros. used that as the entrance to the Forbidden Forest. It's not creepy at all in person. :)
 |
| Quidditch matches were held out there in the countryside just beyond the castle |
 |
| Madam Hooch taught the broomstick class and flying lessons in this courtyard. |
 |
| So naturally, we had to do the broomstick class. |
 |
| The instructor was so funny. The kids got such a kick out of him. |
 |
| That face is saying, "I can't believe I am doing this...but I love it!" |
 |
| He just has to win at everything he does....even broomstick races. |
 |
| Still cracking up! This picture absolutely makes me giggle. I love watching them have so much fun! |
 |
| I keep telling them they are the luckiest kids. I mean...look. at. that. setting! |
 |
| UP! Just like in the movie. :) |
 |
| Maybe a little too demanding??.... |
 |
| Off they go!!!! |
 |
| Future Quidditch players |
 |
| Family pic! Thank you, Kolin! |
The best part of the castle was how kid friendly it was, and this area was just too cute. First, you could choose your medieval outfit. Thomas was all over that. Allison took a little encouragement (when in Rome, right?)
 |
| There were games to play like throw the rats at the people in the pillory. |
 |
| My little knight in shining armor just before he battled the dummy behind him. |
 |
| Ring toss with Dad |
 |
| I love the way the little girl is admiring the princess. |
 |
| This kid got him good. LOL! |
 |
| I just love her so much. |
 |
| Ring toss with Kolin |
 |
| Okay, just one more of my knight. :) |
 |
| Poor Dad, but what a good sport. |
 |
| Probably the highlight of the kids' day. |
 |
| Please stop growing up. This will all be over too soon. |
Sprinting across the bridge before we head back to the Kirschenmann's house.
The highlight of the adults' day! Kolin makes the BEST margaritas. Yum!!!
 |
| You boys can keep your whiskey...even if it is the good stuff...bleh! |
Cheers to a fabulous first day! More adventures to come tomorrow.
Until next time,
Wendy
No comments:
Post a Comment