On July 10th, my mom's 62nd birthday, she retired!! After 25 years in the Moline School District, she decided it was time to start the next chapter in her life. I think I can safely say...a position that started out as a substitute secretary turned out to be one of the best things that ever happened to my mom. My dad really didn't want her to go back to work, but with two girls looking at college and weddings in the future, she thought it was time to add to the earnings. Starting in the bookstore, moving to the dean's office, athletic office, and finally to the main office to be the principal's secretary gave her the opportunity to meet so many people and work for a great bunch of bosses. Her MHS friends were her rock after my dad passed away. They filled her very sad days with smiles and support. I am eternally grateful to the staff at MHS for loving my mom and taking care of her.
I was so fortunate to share in this celebration. July 9th I set off (without my family) to be there for my mom. Oh how I wish all four of us could have gone, but those summer airline prices are brutal! My first night at home we enjoyed steaks, baked potato, mushrooms, garlic bread, and diet Mountain Dew. My mom knows me so well. :)
Wednesday was the big day! After an early morning trip to Target for me :), I joined my mom and Nicole at MHS for a lunch date with the secretaries and Mr. Rosenthal. Thanks to Rosie for the sweet ride!
Opening presents to celebrate this special day!
 |
| Love it! |
Back at school, my mom finished her last afternoon at work. Look at all of those flowers! I think she's loved.
 |
| It's time! |
 |
| One last stop at the "M" |
After work, several staff members met for drinks to celebrate!
 |
| My mom and three of her former bosses. |
 |
| A little serenade |
Friday night was the big party! Over 200 people came out to wish my mom well and celebrate her retirement!
 |
| Nicole and family |
 |
| Look at that crowd! And, that's only one of the rooms. |
 |
| Time for a speech. |
 |
| Recognizing her bosses and the secretaries. |
 |
| Celebrating with her brother...my Uncle Joey. I wonder where Allison gets those blue eyes?? :) |
 |
| The fabulous secretaries of MHS! |
 |
| There was dancing.... |
 |
| and lots of hugs. |
 |
| My dad's family came in from Iowa. It was so good to see all of them again. |
 |
| I like this one much better! |
 |
| Marcia wearing my heels. Yes, Nicole is short, but Marcia looks like a giant! |
 |
| I got to see my cousin Aubry. And, Cathie you are officially on the blog. LOL! |
It was such a short visit, but I was so happy I was able to see my Morton girls on Saturday! We met in Galesburg for lunch. It was so great seeing them. I miss them so much!
The only picture I got of the three of us before the party was with my phone! Ugh...epic photographer fail!
 |
| My sweet sister |
Other highlights from the trip...I forgot to take a picture of Target and Whitey's. :)
 |
| Dinner along the river. |
 |
| Seeing my Papa |
 |
Being back home with my family and taking a bike ride to beat the jet lag.
What a special trip! It meant everything to me to be there for my mom, and I'm so glad we could make it happen.
Congratulations, and I love you, Mom!
Until next time, Wendy |
That's amazing! You can tell she is loved by all.. like her daughter :) Congrats to your sweet mom and I hope that means more Brussels visits in her future!
ReplyDeleteOh Wendy, thanks so much for this wonderful blog. You certainly touched every special moment. Thanks to you and Nicole for being with me to make my last day more special and complete. Also, thanks to my special MHS friends, and what would we do without Todd ?:-) . I am a very lucky lady to have the two best daughters in the world. You fill my life with so much love and happiness, and I thank you so much for that. Without the two of you, my life simply could not go on. Thanks again, and I love you both more than life itself.
ReplyDeleteWendy, I am so glad that you could make this special trip home to support your Mom, and I am sure that you were deeply missed by your family in Belgium! Did they have everything under control in your absence?
ReplyDelete