Vastine AdVentures

Vastine AdVentures

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Visitor Season Has Begun! Hooray!

Our first day of summer vacation (July 1) started off right with a visit from my friend Beth, her sister Sheri, and their mom Anne.  We were thrilled they made Belgium a pitstop on their European tour that included London, Paris, and Rome.  It was my job to show them "Belgium" so with just two days we discovered Brussels, Brugge, and Leuven.
And, of course we made sure they discovered Westvleteren beer. :)
 A stop in Brugge was in order.  If you visit Belgium, the first question most people ask is, "Did you go to Brugge??"  I almost feel obligated to take people there. What kind of tour guide would I be if I left off Belgium's "Venice of the North??"  But, it really is the most terrific little city that you must see if you are in the area.
Photo opp along one of the canals.  Thomas was our photographer.
On our Brussels sightseeing day, I wanted to take the group to see the Atomium.  It's one of the symbols of Brussels.  But, I hadn't driven out there since we moved here.  Coming from the Grand Place, I put the address in the GPS, but of course it was going to take me the shortest (always more difficult) route.  That route just happened to be near the North Station and right on past the Red Light District of Brussels!  Did you know most major cities have a Red Light District...not just Amsterdam!?!  To make matters worse, we were in bumper to bumper traffic all the way down the street.  Did I mention the kids were with me???  And, Sheri slept through the whole thing!  LOL!  So, once we escaped from that eye opening experience, there was still the task of making it to the Atomium (which I might add is not worth all this.)  We (I) went down a road with some construction, which turned out to be closed, which then turned into a tramline with an oncoming tram, and then the group witnessed some true Belgian driving on my part.  I'm happy to report we made it alive, and we have the picture to prove it!
Survivors...plus the little man taking the picture.
But, before all that drama, there was touring of Brussels with the Grand Place, Manneken Pis, waffles, and shopping at Longchamp.  Everyone needs a little souvenir, right?  

Nice photo bomb by my son.
Waiting patiently outside the cathedral.
The smaller cities of Belgium, and those that are less touristy, are really a treat to visit.  Leuven has been mentioned on this blog a number of times, and it continues to be one of our favorites.  It's a college town, so it has a great vibe.  A friend recommended the restaurant Mykene, and it did not disappoint.  We had a nice table on the terrace and enjoyed a delicious meal.
I asked the waiter his recommendation....wait for it....KANGAROO!  I'm not very adventurous but figured, "What the heck!"  It was delicious!
The beautiful town hall of Leuven.

And, that concludes their quick tour of Belgium. Thank you again Beth, Sheri, and Anne for spending time with our family in Belgium.  We were delighted to share our home with you.  Our door is always open!

Until next time,
Wendy





1 comment:

  1. You, Mrs. Vastine, are hands down the best Belgium tour guide in the country....a true ambassador. Had a lovely time meeting you and your family (gracious hosts all). Many, many thanks for your hospitality...and I still CANNOT BELIEVE Beth let me sleep through the Red Light District Tour!! Sheri

    ReplyDelete