Vastine AdVentures

Vastine AdVentures

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Concluding the Vastine Visit

Saturday morning, it was back to regular life for Chris and family.  As much as I wanted to take them to some fabulous location, soccer was calling.  Chris and Mary did enjoy a great bike ride on Saturday morning.


Then the busy day started with Allison's game.  They played a great game and WON!  First win of the season.



Cutest little soccer player EVER!
 Next up was Thomas's soccer game.  And, of course it was at a different school, so off to ISB we went!

Twins co-coaching! 

And, then it was back to St. Johns again for Allison's game.  This is our life. :)

Love these girls!
Saturday evening, we spent some time in Leuven.  We had a terrific dinner at Agora across from the town hall.


Chris left for a business trip to the US on Sunday.  I was happy to keep Jerry and Mary for a bit longer.
They got to come along to riding lessons.

Following lessons, we went to the site of the Battle of Waterloo.  Jerry wrote a paper on this topic in high school, so he needed to see it in person...and it's close by.
Climbing the 226 steps to the top.



Jerry had to leave us Monday morning, so it was just Mary and I during the day for most of the week.
Monday morning we did a Brussels bike tour with ISB.  Nice photo bomb by Scott. :)


We actually went inside the Palace of Justice...a first for me.  There's Scott again. :)
Just a little ride through the Louise roundabout at noon.  I saw my life flash before me. 
Dodging traffic
But our reward was in sight.  Frites at Maison Antoine in Place Jourdan are the best in Brussels.
Cheers!
We had such a great time.
Teaching Aunt Mary all about eating raclette.  The kids love it!
Tuesday, we spent most of the day at the American Women's Club.  Duty calls and I had things to do.  Mary was a good sport, and the gals loved hanging out with her.
 Wednesday was our last day together, so we headed to Brugge.  I had never taken the train before and decided today would be the day.  The traffic has been terrible, and we didn't have time to spend 2.5 hrs driving when it should only take one hour.
I love this spot.  These are the seven different styles of architecture in this part of the country. 
I love that reflection.



It was the most beautiful sunny day!

Of course, we had to stop at the beer wall and admire.

Mary started to chat with some Americans who were visiting Europe.  Just so happens this girl's stepdad works at the same hospital as Mary.  They are holding a Gundersen Lutheran pen.  SMALL WORLD!


 We had the most wonderful day, and it was the perfect way to end Mary's stay.  Thursday morning, she was off to Minnesota.  We were so sad to see her go but thrilled we had the time to spend together.

Until next time,
Wendy


























2 comments:

  1. You're gonna laugh but all I see when I look at those pictures is you and Mary sitting in front of Dior Rob!!! LOL! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right! If only the person taking the picture had tipped the camera up....just a bit. ;)

      Delete