As I work on this blog, I am enjoying all of the Halloween posts on Facebook. Halloween day is uneventful here in Belgium. The holiday is not "officially" celebrated here, but the shops have been carrying quite a bit of decor and costumes...even more than last year. Maybe by the time we leave, it will be an official holiday here. The expat community does a great job of celebrating though, so here's a look at some of the fun we have had over the last couple weeks as we celebrate Halloween Belgium style.
The American's Women's Club hosted a "Trunk-or-Treat" for the kids. The event was a huge success. I tried to count the kids and got to somewhere around 70. So exciting!
 |
| Thomas helping Dad hand out candy at our trunk. |
 |
| Our kids had come straight from riding lessons, so to make my life easier (not nice....I know), they were equestrian riders for Trunk-or-Treat. |
 |
| Family pic |
Trick-or-Treating is always the Thursday before fall break because so many expat families travel during the break. It is a huge event! You must register online, pick up a wrist band at McDonalds, and join several hundred other trick or treaters in the town of Overijse (an event is held in Waterloo as well.) The homes that hand out candy are impressively decorated, and this year they even had a Thriller show. The kids (and Chris) loved it. I was too short to see from the back. :)
For this year's costume....they wanted to be nerds. Costumes are hard to come by here (they still have the plastic masks with the elastic strap on the back) so you have to be creative. I thought they were adorable nerds.
We met at the Smith's house for a pre-trick-or-treat party. Thanks Karin!
Then, it was time for the big event.
 |
| Allison and friends from ISB. |
 |
| These three are growing up too fast. They went off by themselves. Sniff sniff |
 |
| The neighborhood for trick or treating is beautiful. |
 |
| They asked that I send this to their teacher. She loved it! |
 |
| The mamas |
 |
| Thanks for a fun after party Justiniano family! |
Two days later, the Keown family hosted their second annual Halloween party. This year, the adults decided to join in on the fun of dressing up.
 |
| Thanks Mary for letting me borrow your dress! |
 |
| Shirley and Pat |
 |
| Brandi is going to eat Allison's brain. Her eyes still freak me out! |
 |
| Cutie pie Karin |
 |
| Melonee, Ericka, and Shayna |
 |
| Sweet girls enjoying the party |
 |
| The zombies were my favorite! Sam and Cori....not usually creepy people. |
 |
| "Rick" (Mike) and his zombies. They were quite a group. Loved it!!! |
 |
| All ready for Oktoberfest! Not as cool as the zombies. |
 |
| That's gross, Lucinda! But still our beautiful hostess. LOL! |
 |
| Jo and Misty |
 |
| My dear friends! |
 |
| My trusty assistant....gotta teach 'em young. |
 |
| "Maverick" and "Charlie" aka John and Melonee |
 |
| Family shot |
 |
| Pat is so sheik! |
 |
| My lovely Lucinda |
 |
I guess this is the sign of a good party.....
It was another successful Halloween! Happy Halloween 2013 to all of our friends in the USA.
Until next time, Wendy |
I feel as if I have traveled to the future... It says this was made November 1st, 2013, but here it is still October 31, 2013... Well, it can't be the time change, no, that's not it...I guess I'll never know...
ReplyDelete-Leksi
Sorry for the confusion. :) I wrote the post after midnight...so it was officially November 1st.
Delete