Vastine AdVentures

Vastine AdVentures

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Beating the Heat!

I LOVE heat! The hotter the better!  But, I've come to realize I prefer extreme heat when I can step into a lovely air conditioned home.  Well, that is NOT the case here in Belgium.  The temperature today topped out around 97 degrees, and staying in the house for the day without AC was just not an option.  We headed to Bloso Domein Hofstade (a family favorite) for a day of sunshine, heat, and nice cool water.  Disclaimer...we do have a portable air conditioner, but we'll just say that it doesn't do the trick like central air.  It does, however, make for a more comfortable sleep.  A little more comfortable.  I won't complain about how loud it is. :)

On to our day!



I thought you might enjoy a little Speedo shot there on the left...and a little "you have no business wearing that suit" up ahead.  I was one of two people that was wearing a swim skirt at the beach.  Nothing says, "I'm an American" like being fully clothed at the beach.  After some people watching today, I'm not sure why I don't just embrace the regular swimsuit bottoms. Baby steps. :)
As you can see, the rest of the country was enjoying a day at the beach with us.  :)
After church, we went our for dinner with the DeKunder family.  We have decided to make this a tradition!  We really love spending time with them.
You know, this gal is 25% Belgian, and she is embracing it.  She took it upon herself to order mussels for dinner.
Well done my little Belgian girl!

Hoping you've all had a terrific weekend!

Until next time,
Wendy

3 comments:

  1. My dear Vastine Family!

    Would you believe me if I told you that I said a prayer for you as I flew over you (or at least very near) after a one-week trip to Germany? The Friday after VBS, I took off for Hamburg-Bergedorf to visit my dear host parents who are now eighty-seven years old. My German mom had taken a nasty fall in early May, and I just needed to see both her and my dad again, and it was wonderful to visit in person! She called on Friday morning to recommend that I bring a sweater, but I believe that we Americans have brought some of our heat to them, don't you think? I am glad that you have such a lovely beach to use as a retreat on those hot days, which are so infrequent. Were you amazed at how dry and hot it was here when you arrived in the States? Oh, I love the European way of life, the punctual trains, delicious coffee and tortes . . . I gained many pounds when I was a college student in '79. It was so good to see you during VBS week, and our prayers are ever with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to reply to the comment above because my husband is from Hamburg-Bergedorf! I couldn't believe it when I saw that you lived there, Julie. The world is small. We will, in fact, be passing through Bergedorf on our move to Aalborg, Denmark in 2 weeks. Just a short side-note...

      Delete
  2. Sarah H.,

    Wow, the world is indeed getting smaller each day! What a wonderful place for your husband to be reared!! Bergedorf and my German host parents have always had a most special place in my heart. They live on Reinbeker Weg, and I stayed at the Bergedorfer Hoehe Hotel which is just a few steps from their home. Where are you currently living, Sarah? How are you connected to the Vastine family? Thank you, Wendy, for creating this wonderful blog!!

    ReplyDelete