Vastine AdVentures

Vastine AdVentures

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Relay for Life

This year, I was honored to be a part of the ISB Cancer Raiders Relay for Life team.  Relay was a big part of my life back in Illinois, and I never imagined I would have an opportunity to be a part of it in Europe.  

The event was much like those held in the US.  It started at noon on Saturday and concluded at noon on Sunday.  There is an opening ceremony with a survivor lap.  The survivors are also treated to breakfasts and dinner.  Each team has their own tent where they sell goodies to raise extra money to fight cancer.  I did stay all night with a great group of friends.  We pretty much walked from 2-5 AM.  We had a great time.  
ISB Cancer Raiders at the opening ceremony
Survivor lap
Allison and friends ready to walk.
Our team captain, Brandi, is a cancer survivor.  She is second from the left.  She did such an amazing job for our team.   Way to go Brandi!!!

Team ISB!  

The Ports family...showing their support for Relay (and CAT) :)
Melonee and Chris  
Our family!  We were so happy to support this great event.
Our team walking and cheering with the ISB middle school team.
 This is why I relay....





During the luminary ceremony, this particular bag really touched my heart.  It doesn't matter where we live or what language we speak...we are all touched by cancer.  
At the closing ceremony, we learned we had raised over 103,000 euros!!!  Last year, they raised around 75,000.  Awesome!

Taking a victory lap at the conclusion of relay.
Looking forward to being a part of it next year!  Thank you so much to my friends and family who donated to this great cause.  I REALLY appreciate it!

Until next time,
Wendy

No comments:

Post a Comment