One of the greatest blessings on this journey (and one I didn't fully expect) has been the friendships our family has made. When you are away from your family, these friends you meet on this journey become your family...or your "framily" as my friend Shirley says. We have learned how to live in a new country, shared stories of life before we were expats, traveled together, cried together, laughed until our sides hurt, took care of each others kids, and the list goes on and on. The friends I have met here are those I will cherish forever. So, when the time comes to say "goodbye" or "see you soon"...well it stinks, and it hurts because I'm not ready to say those words to the people I spend each and every day with. At the end of this school year, we had to say our goodbyes and give tearful hugs to some of the people who mean the world to us. We know we'll see each other again, but it hurts knowing we won't see them as often as we would like. Here are some wonderful memories and going away celebrations for these special people.
Staci was the first ISB parent I received an email from before we arrived in Belgium. I met her on our very first day of school when I was an absolute wreck. She was so incredibly nice and really helped calm my fears. Our fourth graders were in the same class, and I'm not really sure when, but our families became so close. They are so easy to be with, and our kids get along great. We were thrilled to plan a trip to Prague together, but unfortunately I was not able to go due to my Grandma's death. I was 100% confident they would have a wonderful time, and they did. My three still talk about that trip all the time. When the One Direction concert became a possibility, we jumped at the chance to take the girls (and my boy) and make it a family weekend.
 |
| Our guys causing trouble :) |
 |
| Picture perfect! |
 |
| Being silly in London |
 |
| The super excited girls and the poor brother who was along for the ride. |
I met Claire at Bootcamp. For such a little thing, she sure could let the instructors know how much she hated a certain exercise. She would crack me up!! We were very fortunate to travel together as well with an amazing trip to Milan and a day trip to Paris. I'm thankful for those trips but also the everyday things like working on the FA together, lunch at Jumi, and watching Downtown Abbey. Claire always makes me laugh and encourages me to do things I never thought possible.
 |
| These pictures make me smile. I'm so happy they could help me celebrate my birthday in London. |
 |
| Milan, Italy |
The end of the school year was busy with going away parties. I just realized I am without any pictures of Staci and Greg's party. I was taking pictures with their camera the whole time. You'll just have to imagine what a great time it was. :)
 |
Staci, Claire, and Valerie At the time, Valerie knew she would be moving but couldn't tell anyone. We had the ball dropped on us a few weeks ago. :( The fortunate part is she and Staci will only be about 25 minutes from each other. That makes me so happy for the two of them and especially their little ones who are buddies. Valerie and I were just getting to know each other. I wish we had more time. |
 |
| Claire and Dave are off to live in Mexico, so a fiesta was in order. |
 |
Staci and Angela Angela and her family are off to the states as well. We have been fortunate to be a part of a school family and church family together. We adore Ang, Chris, and their three beautiful kids. We are so happy they will only be about 30 minutes from some of our family, so there is a great chance we will see them...hopefully at Christmas! |
 |
| The DeKunders are leaving, but they give us gifts! So sweet! She will wear it proudly! :) |
"Goodbyes are not forever. Goodbyes are not the end. They simply mean I'll miss you until we meet again."
Until next time,
Wendy
How blessed you have been. Prayers for your have been answered and your have found "framily" and friendship abroad.
ReplyDeleteThis post made my eyes water...as I know how much friends can mean when your family is not around for the daily struggles and joys of life. Burdens are diminished and joy is increased.
Thank you for sharing your heart and your adventures. You are a treasure.