Vastine AdVentures

Vastine AdVentures

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Hard Rock, Anne, and Red Lights ~ A Day in Amsterdam

Farah had one request.  She wanted to visit Amsterdam.  Since she teaches her 5th graders about Anne Frank and the Holocaust, a visit was definitely in order.  So, on Thursday we were headed to Amsterdam.

First stop was lunch.  Nearly one week into the trip, the girls were ready for free refills, so we made a pit stop at Hard Rock Cafe.  Free refills and ranch dressing gave us just the energy we needed for our busy day.

We stopped by the IAMSTERDAM letters for a photo....or 10.




We didn't get to see some of the parts of the canal that I think are the prettiest.  And, there just wasn't time for a boat cruise.  

One of the highlights of the whole trip was visiting the Anne Frank House with the girls.  The kids and I have been before, but it was really good for the kids to see it again and take in more information. It really is a very moving experience.
Our favorite 5th grade teacher! 

The canal in front of the Anne Frank House.

This is the building where the secret annex (the Frank's hiding place) is located.
The wide angle lens make them look REALLY tall.  Oops!

On the hunt for a Starbucks, we found this Rembrandt statue.  Very cool!

The girls wanted to check out the Red Light District.  I didn't think that was such a good idea with the kids.  If you've been reading, you know we already experienced that in Brussels.  Mother of the year!

 I did get a shot of Thomas on a street that is part of the Red Light District.  I told him he would thank me someday. :)


And, just when I thought the fun of Amsterdam was over....I got a ticket in the mail in August.  Last time we visited, I got a 117 euro speeding ticket.  This time, the great city of Amsterdam claims I ran a red light and sent me a 227 euro ticket.  WHAT?!?!  I can't argue in Dutch, so we paid it.  That was my last driving trip to Amsterdam.

Until next time,
Wendy

No comments:

Post a Comment