Vastine AdVentures

Vastine AdVentures

Friday, September 13, 2013

The Lovely Linda in Belgium

Just two days after the girls left, we were thrilled to welcome Chris's cousin Linda to Belgium.  Linda was in Europe for summer studies, and we were so excited that Brussels could be added to her busy itinerary.  

Our first stop was dinner on the Grand Place.  We typically do not eat dinner at the touristy restaurants on the Grand Place (exception....Hard Rock,) but the night was so beautiful that we decided to give one a try.
Cheers
How's that for a view at dinner?!
The Grand Place at night is my favorite!
After dinner, we took a stroll to see Manneken Pis.  He was naked this time.  I'm sure I've mentioned that he has hundreds of costumes, but I prefer him naked. :)

And, no trip to Brussels is complete without a waffle and the obligatory picture with the giant Manneken Pis.

And, no trip to the Vastine house is complete without a taste test of Westvleteren.  This is always the highlight of the visit for Chris.  He just loves to share his knowledge of beer.  You know, from all of these beer discussions, the kids have become quite knowledgable about Belgian beers.  It might be a bit embarrassing when we move back to small town, USA.

The next morning, we were off to Brugge.  It was a bit of a challenge getting there (2.5 hours and should only take 1 hr.)  I'm thinking we might start taking the train.  I'm so sick of traffic slowing me down.
How about that sunshine!
 Checking out Brugge on a very hot and very sunny day.  What a summer in Belgium!


We have come to the point in our stay where the kids are just done visiting this city.  It was quaint, adorable, intriguing, and entertaining the first eight times they visited.  So, we did a carriage ride and boat ride and ate ice cream....can you say bribery!?!?




There are seven types of architecture in Flanders (the northern half of Belgium.)  I almost got all seven types.  I needed to be a little further back, but I wasn't driving the boat.


This pooch makes a cameo in the movie In Bruges with Colin Farrell (yes, there are different ways to spell Brugge, Bruges, etc.)  Now that is an interesting movie....and a bit disturbing.


Bravo to Linda!  A shot of her on the smallest bridge in Brugges...all by herself.  Not a small accomplishment.

 Thank you, Linda for making it a point to stop and see us.  We loved having you here, and we are hoping you will be able to come back.  Love you to pieces!

Until next time,
Wendy





No comments:

Post a Comment