Vastine AdVentures

Vastine AdVentures

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Fôret de Soinges

How lucky are we that we live within the Fôret de Soinges!  This forest, that lies southeast of Brussels, is 10,920 acres!  So, there is no shortage of amazing trails to follow.  My biggest worry really is getting lost.  A friend of mine recently took a walk with her dog and was lost in the forest for two hours!  If I were lost for two hours in the forest with my children...well...we just really don't want to think about that.  There is a map of the forest that comes complete with a waterproof bag when you purchase it...you know it rains a little bit here, and I really need to get one.  

Here is what we have been up to the last two days.  We've done a lot of walking!  I told the kids there would be no loafing around the house on this spring break.

On Monday morning, we joined the DeKunder family on a new trail through the forest.  There was a great playground, and we had lunch out there as well.  It was a perfect morning.

There is one thing I am having a hard time understanding.  There is tree cutting going on EVERYWHERE this time of year.  I hear chainsaws constantly.  And there are piles of trees like this all over the place.  I'm sure it is some effort to keep the forests from getting too dense and promoting more growth, but GAH!  Seeing these big beautiful trees lying in massive piles is a little tough for me.
See what I mean!
Here's the playground.  The kids loved it, and they enjoyed hiking up through the hills behind the playground.  That's where they had lunch...no where near us moms. :)
The trail in this part of the forest.
Thanks to Banu and Jill, whose photo editing I enjoy immensely on Facebook, I have a couple of news apps on my iPhone to edit pictures.  I'm having fun playing with them. :) 
Dinner on the trampoline.
This morning, we went for a walk in Overijse.   My friend, Amy, lives across the street from this part of the forest.  What a lucky girl! 
Allison and the Cundiff kids...and Trixie...the dog my children wish they could adopt. :)

I learned you can adjust the picture so there isn't black space around the pictures like the above shots.  I'm a quick one! ;)
This afternoon, we went to the commune of Rhode Saint Genese to have lunch with my friend Gretchen, from my Hints class, and her kids.  We wanted our kids to meet because the girls are the same age, and the boys are just a year apart.  We all had a fantastic time.  They live on a massive plot of land.  Their landlords (brothers who sound so cool) own the chateau you see above.  It's magnificent!  They are going to start renovating it.  Boy, would I like to move in there! 
This is the path behind Gretchen's house.  They sure did find a gem of a house! 
The chateau up close

I didn't realize it, but I was taking pictures while I walked.  Here's me traipsing through the forest, wind in my hair, and talking up a storm!
Another accidental shot
Standing at the chateau and looking across the meadow.  The first picture was taken at the other end of the meadow.
I am just in awe of God's beautiful creations!

Until next time,
Wendy

2 comments:

  1. I have ALWAYS wanted to hold/pet a lemur. No kidding. It is on my bucket list for sure. So jealous! Awesome pictures, as always, Wendy. Looks like you are having so much fun! So happy for you all!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops. Posted on the wrong blog post. I am SO bad at this!!! :)

    ReplyDelete