Vastine AdVentures

Vastine AdVentures

Monday, April 16, 2012

Germany/Austria 2012 ~ Neuschwanstein Castle

Just to keep you up to speed...we left on Sunday and slept in Günzburg, Germany that night.  We went to Legoland for most of the day on Monday.  We then drove to Füssen (on the border of Germany and Austria) to spend the night, which brings us to Tuesday morning, and our trip to Neuschwanstein Castle.  This castle was the home and dream of King Leopold II of Bavaria.  He is often referred to as "Mad King Ludwig".  He was an artsy fartsy kind of guy with a grotto in his house, a very modern kitchen, and amenities ahead of their time.  He loved swans and was obsessed with Wagner's operas.  I'm sure he was interesting.  Sadly, he only lived in the castle for 170 days, but I've read he only slept there for 11 nights.  At the age of 41, he died, and his death still remains a mystery.  At the time of his death, the castle was only 1/3 finished.  The exterior of the castle was then completed, but much of the interior was left unfinished.  Within six weeks, the castle was open to visitors and has been seen by over 50 million people.  We were not allowed to take pictures inside, so I had to buy a book. :)  But, I can tell you that it was magnificent.  The throne room was my favorite, but it was without the throne.  The young king died before it arrived at the castle.  I must add that this castle is young, as far as castles go.  It was finished in 1892!
This is Hohenschwangau Castle and the boyhood home of King Ludwig II.  Neuschwanstein did not receive that name until after his death.  He had named his new castle New Hohenschwangau.  

We decided to take a carriage ride up to the castle.  Buses were not running until 9:30, and the thought of dragging Allison up the hill was more than we could handle.  More of that will come later in the trip.  

And here it is!!  All wrapped up in scaffolding.  I think it would be impolite to type the words I was thinking at this point. I knew work was being done on the castle, but COME ON!  Are you really working on that much as once?  Wait until you see the picture of my very first view.  At that point, I was in tears.  Take a minute and Google the castle.  The pictures of it nestled in the mountain are stunning.  This picture above is certainly not what I had in mind.
Here are the kids waiting for our tour to begin.  At least this part wasn't covered.  
The family!
He's a goofball, but we love him dearly!
Almost time for our tour!  Can you see Chris and the kids up there?
Look behind the three of us...that is the bridge I will be taking pictures from.  It is Mary's Bridge.  It was a gift to King Leopold's mother from his father.  It was state of the art for it's time.  
After our tour of the castle, we made the hike up to Mary's Bridge.  The yellow castle is again his boyhood home.  Isn't this view breathtaking!?!  I could have stood here all day.
Love this one of me and the kids.  We had a great family shot, but I had my camera on the wrong setting, and I don't think it's salvageable.  
I was willing to take the path.  Chris didn't think it was such a good idea.  Rick Steeves isn't against it either!
The bridge was a little soft, and this sign was a little intimidating.  And, someone was a little stressed.  She was just sure we would plummet to our death.  Poor thing.  Good thing Daddy saved the day and walked her back across to safety.
             
             Such a sweet smile....but I'm sure he is just laughing at his sister and her terror on the bridge.
Another family shot
The hike back down
Of course, we had to stop at a stand and have some German goodies
Carriage rides on the way down too.
Classic!  Blackmail for the years to come!
And this was my first view of the castle.  Can you see why I was in tears!?! 
Leaving Neuschwanstein and heading to Munich for a couple of days.
And finally, my favorite picture of the day, and it was captured with my iPhone.  Go figure! :)

Munich tomorrow!
Until next time,
Wendy

3 comments:

  1. You guys are going on so many adventures! I love it. Your kids are having so many cool experiences right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Vastine Family,

    I am so sorry that the castle was under repair, but we must think positive! Unlike our "build it quick and tear it down even quicker" mentality, the Europeans do treasure their castles and churches, so we must be thankful that they are preserving it for generations to come. Now, back in 1979 when I toured, one could even take photos, and I have just a few in my OLD album. With the German work ethic, all of the restoration could be completed before you even return to the States! Hope you can revisit! Blessings to all!
    Love,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops, of course people could take photos. I meant to say take photos INSIDE the castle in the olden days!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete