We spent Tuesday afternoon until Thursday morning in Munich, Germany. We were in a proper hotel with a swimming pool, so the kids were so excited! But, it was actually their least favorite hotel in the end. They liked the bed and breakfast atmosphere. I would have to agree. And, it was the only hotel with limited wifi, so it wasn't my favorite either. :)
 |
| Here we are in the square in Munich (Marienplatz.) That clock tower behind the kids is the glockenspiel. We arrived in the square just five minutes before it started, so we couldn't have had better timing. The running of it in the evening is seasonal, so I wasn't sure we would be able to see it, but we were in the right place at the right time. Chris made the comment, "What's everybody waiting around for?" Ahhhh....the glockenspiel. Worked out well! |
 |
| A statue in the square...which I'm sure has some significance..... |
 |
| The glockenspiel doing its thing! I do have a video of it. It's riveting. LOL! |
 |
| Can you see the people up there watching the Glockenspiel...those are good seats. |
 |
| Truth be told...this was Chris' main reason for wanting to come to Munich. We have a Hofbrauhaus in Peoria, but this is the inspiration. I'm assuming my hubby will be going to Oktoberfest this fall. This was a highlight for him on the trip. |
 |
| Here is my happy husband...probably happier than the day we were married! He was giddy I tell ya! |
 |
| The famous pork knuckle. It was good! |
 |
| So the locals do hang out here all dress their lederhosen and cute little hats. They have their own mugs, which they store behind that gentleman. The kids thought he was the coolest! So, they went and sat at his table and asked me take their pictures. Can you say tourists??? He was very sweet and waved hello. |
 |
| And, you can't forget the band playing their oom pah pah music. They were very entertaining. |
 |
| The ice cream was delicious, and we stopped here at least twice. Ice cream makes for happy kids, so we never denied. |
 |
| This street band was amazing. I mean everything they played was terrific. Allison was in awe, and was very much inspired by the man with the violin. Fabulous!! |
 |
| Swimming! |
 |
| Ahhh...here is my son. The pictures are a bit out of order, so this was our first time riding the metro in Munich. So, we were catching the metro, and it had arrived at our stop. Thomas usually has his own agenda, and instead of hurrying down the steps, he thought he would ride the escalator. With urgency, I told him we didn't have time for that, so he was behind all of us coming down the steps. Insert mothers intuition....they don't give you a whole lot of time to hop on the train. Allison and Chris were on the train, and I was right next to the door ready to get on. These aren't doors you can hold open like elevators, and I had the sense to just wait outside the train for Thomas. Mind you this is all happening in about a millisecond. Well, the doors closed, and Thomas and I were left off the train with no ticket. Chris and Allison got off two stops later to wait for us, we hopped on the next train, and met them there. Thankfully, no one asked for our tickets. But I can't help but think what would have happened if I had gotten on the train thinking I could hold the door for him. He would have been left all alone in a metro station in a strange city. Oh, I can't even think about it. Thank you God for mother's intuition. Needless to say, he's pouting and feeling bad about what happened. He also didn't drag behind on the rest of the trip and stayed right with us. |
 |
| Daddy, Allison, and the Biebs....I couldn't resist. Can you see how much of the bed she takes up? She's fun to sleep with. LOL! |
 |
| Who can hold their breath the longest? This went on until exhaustion finally set in. |
 |
| Watching Bayern Munich vs. another German team. I should probably know which one. It was pretty exciting. |
 |
Thomas in his new jersey. This was one of Chris' favorite teams growing up.
And, that's about all I have from Munich. We probably should have toured the BMW plant or gone to the Olympic Park. The weather really stunk while we were there. We did eat at Hard Rock Cafe, and the American burger hit the spot. Next up was a trip to Dachau on Wednesday.
Until next time, Wendy |
I am so glad you didn't get on that train! I can't even imagine the panic if you had!
ReplyDeleteLoving all of the pics and going along on your trip! :)
Dustin will be so excited about your Hofbrauhaus photos when I show him...especially the pork knuckle. :)
ReplyDeleteI commented on this this morning, and now it's gone. :( Anyway, I'm so glad you didn't get on that train. I can't imagine the panic if you had!
ReplyDeleteLoving all the pics and getting to go along on your trip with you! :)