Vastine AdVentures

Vastine AdVentures

Monday, June 4, 2012

Paris with M and M June 2012

 We were so fortunate to finally make it to Paris.  I'm pretty sure Paris is one of the first stops most people make when they come to Europe and especially for those that have moved here.  But, it took us five months to get there, and let me say, it did not disappoint one bit.  Paris was everything I thought it would be and more!  The drive was easy, the buildings were stunning, the people were incredibly friendly, we mastered the metro system, the weather was magnificent, and I didn't get robbed!  Thumbs up for sure!!!  Here is our busy little weekend in pictures.

 After parking at Gare du Nord, we navigated to the Novotel Les Halles.  This hotel was in a fantastic location, as it was within walking distance to the Louvre and Notre Dame.  The staff was incredibly friendly, and their English was terrific!  We bought a two day metro pass and definitely got our moneys worth with six of us traveling the city using the underground.  Our first stop in Paris was the Arc de Triomphe.  It was pretty impressive as we emerged from the metro and there it was!  It was one of those WOW moments!  





The kids are standing at the beginning (or maybe the end...not sure??) of the Champs-Elysées.  I was the one person in Paris (and the 5 others with me) that did not walk down this street!  Can you believe it???  Good thing we are heading back in July.  I can't wait to do a little shopping and people watching.
 Next up was the Eiffel Tower, and it was just awesome!  You've seen pictures of it your whole life, but it is really something to behold in person.  The blue skies in the background made it even more beautiful.  I loved the kids' reactions.  They loved it too!


Thank goodness there were large cement blocks for them to stand on, or I would have had to lie on the ground to get this shot. :)
 It was really warm, so it was the perfect day for a boat cruise along the Seine.  It was such a great way to see many of the bridges and several sites around the city.  No one was disappointed with their sun kissed shoulders and cheeks.  Bonus!  We no longer look like we have been living in a cave for the last five months.

When I was nine, I went to Florida for the first time.  I certainly wasn't cruising along the Seine.  Lucky, lucky boy.  I keep telling the kids this is not real life.  People just don't get to do this many terrific things in such a short amount of time, so enjoy it while you can because in a few years we will be back to reality! 




Notre Dame 


La Conciergerie - The prison where Marie Antoinette was kept




We tend to eat a lot on these trips, and there is always a stop for ice cream, or like today, it was slushies.


More shots of the Eiffel Tower.  When we went to Sea World in 1984, my dad took like 200 pictures of dolphins and whales...that was me with the Eiffel Tower. :)





Metro Masters!  Allison was very good about paying attention to the streets we needed to exit onto.  That can be the most challenging part.  You come out of the metro, and you are never quite sure where you will end up.  She saved us a few times!
There is nothing like a delicious dinner outside in Paris! 
A lovely American from Florida asked if she could take our picture for us.  So sweet of her.  Of course, I was waiting for her to run away with my camera.  Thankfully, she did not.

A perfect evening!
Off to Notre Dame we went.  It was closed :(, so we were only able to see it from the outside, but it was quite the site to see.  I didn't realize how many gargoyles were on it.   The Disney version of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" all makes sense now. :)




We enjoyed strolling through the city at night.  Bands were playing, we watched a magician, and the boat cruises were continually moving down the river.  The city really comes alive at night!


Love them so much! 
He loves them too! 
As a river cruise passed by, the lights from the boat lit up the buildings.  I was at the right place at the right time!
The oldest hospital in Paris 
The Eiffel Tower at night.  I really missed my big lens for these pictures.

Waiting for the tower to twinkle!
Look at those muscles!  He's standing on a vent. :)
We had a suite at the hotel with a queen bed, a full bed, and two twin beds.  They failed to mention the full was a pullout, and so were the twin beds.  No worries though with a little furniture rearranging, we all fit!  Thomas said the hotel was his favorite part of the trip.  That figures!

More on day 2 of Paris tomorrow!

Until next time,
Wendy

1 comment: