Vastine AdVentures

Vastine AdVentures

Saturday, July 7, 2012

Brussels with the Ohio Vastines

I had big plans for Brussels, and I mean BIG.  We were going to hit the ground running and see the city and all it has to offer.  But, the little lady in my life just wasn't feeling up to it today.  We made it to Cinquantenaire Park.  It was going as planned until the Military Museum was closed for their ridiculously long lunch.  They don't stagger their lunch hours.  They just close...for like two hours.  And, this is very, very common!  We decided not to wait it out and headed for the Grand Place.  We were able to see the Grand Place, give the gold lady a rub, give a wave to Charlie Chaplin who is always outside of Dandoy, then another wave to Vincent Van Gogh, Mannekin Pis, some yummy waffles, St. Michael's Cathedral, a stroll down the gallery, the guys went to the Delirium, and a little shopping for the rest of us....and then Miss Allison was done!  I had hoped for the Sablon, Petit Sablon, the Sablon Church, the Basilica, and the Atomium, but it just wasn't happening.  When we got home, we called the doctor, and she met us at the office at 7:00 P.M.  They are really very accommodating here, and I am so thankful for that.  She was running a fever, but she does not have strep, so this virus will have to run its course.  We have a big day planned tomorrow, so hopefully I will be able to tell you that she and I joined in on the fun, but we will have to wait and see.  Here are a few shots of our day!

There they all are...on the left...the teeny tiny specks in the photo.
And, a bit closer



The Grand Place!

There is a camera in this window, so you can see yourself on the monitor.  Thomas is quite the entertainment for all who walk by with his stellar dance moves.
Manneken Pis was all dressed up for beach day here in Brussels.  I failed to get a shot of the Ohio Vastines because I only took a picture with Cheryl's camera.  Bummer!

We love to share our love of waffles with others. 
I had always heard that you rubbed the gold lady for good luck.  Now, I am hearing it is for fertility???  Who knows...but just in case...I did not do any rubbing. :)
The guys went to the Delirium Cafe.  This bar made it into the Guinness Book of World Records in 2004 for having a beer list of 2,004 beers!  Wow!  They were giddy with excitement!  It is worth a stop...just look for the pink elephant!
Just across the street/alley from the Delirium is Jeanneke Pis.  She is the female version of Manneken Pis.  She too is peeing, but that darn leaf is in the way.  She is, however, behind a gate and not at eye level, so I had to maneuver my phone up and in behind there to get a good shot. She is far less known that her friend Manneken.
Strolling through the Royal Galeries of St-Hubert.
Cousins at the Grand Place
St. Michael's Cathedral
Fading fast...but she was really a good sport. 
Just before leaving, and while waiting for the guys to return from the Delirium, a bachelor party approached us.  They wanted us to pay money to have a  drink of some of their beer (that was in the basket and already opened!)  Thank God I was without cash.  This group of gentleman was from France.  Two of them spoke English quite well, but this poor groom either didn't speak English, or he was just hammered!  If I had to wear this get up, I would hope to be hammered!  When you pulled on the hearts, it made his dress rise up, and underneath he was hearing white underwear with pink hearts.  I tell ya....they are brutal here with bachelor and bachelorette parties (although I'm not sure what they are called here.)  This is not the first time I have seem someone completely humiliated in public.  Poor guy!

Even though we didn't complete our tour of Brussels, it was a great day.  We are praying that Allison is feeling so much better tomorrow.

Thanks for checking in on us!!!

Until next time,
Wendy

No comments:

Post a Comment