Vastine AdVentures

Vastine AdVentures

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Oh Happy Day!

It was a super happy 4th of July here in Belgium.  To the rest of Belgium, it was just the 4th day of July, but to our family it meant the arrival of the Ohio Vastines!  Now, that is something to celebrate!  Although it was sad not celebrating the 4th back home, we couldn't be happier about sharing the holiday and our beautiful new country with family!
Here's our little firecracker.  I had to get a picture early in the day before she switched out of the skirt for more appropriate "jumping on the trampoline" clothing.

Aunt Cheryl rocks! :)
In an effort to stay awake (they arrived at what was 1 A.M. their time and had to face a whole new day), we went for a walk around the neighborhood before lunch.
Uncle Tim thought it might be a good idea to get some rest today, but everybody was ready for some adventures.  So, I said, "Brandon, have you heard of Napoleon?"
Brandon: "Bonaparte" (yep, he's 11...Brandon...not Napoleon)
Me: "Yes, that's him."
Me: "Do you know where he was defeated?"
Brandon: "Yes, Waterloo."
Me: "Well, okay, let's go there!"

So that is where we headed.  Off to the Butte de Lion and the site of the Battle of Waterloo.  Yes, you've seen this location before on the blog.  In fact, I just realized I was wearing the same shirt last time I visited with my mom and Mike.  I must really like this shirt. :)

Sweet cousins!  They are all growing so much.  Allison just turned 11, Thomas is 9, and Brandon will be 12 in August...but they are all about the same size (Brandon is a bit off the sidewalk though.)  I'll be anxious to see how they look five years from now.
Up they go!  I'm tellin' ya.  That is not an easy climb (226 steps.)  The first time, I was just so excited to get to the top.  The second time was fine too.  I was doing bootcamp and in pretty good shape.  This time just stunk.  I was hot, and now that I am a bootcamp dropout, my fitness level is in the toilet...but enough about that.
Brothers!
My sweet boy decked out in his 4th of July attire...that ironically, I found in France. :)
Sweet B!  He is getting too old.  We love his Slytherin colored rubber bands on his braces...although we are all Gryffindor in this house!
I love this shot!  He is just wishing I would give him a euro for that thing. :)  This was the clearest day we have had from the top.
And, Miss Allison
The Ohio Vastines
and the Belgium Vastines
I told Cheryl she would need to do this pose at each new location on our travels. :)
Checking things out.
The Outlaws....we're just missing Amy.

Well, of course there was ice cream.  We hopped on over to Chateau de la Hulpe.
Enjoying the gardens.
Well done Cheryl!  You'll only have to do this like 50 more times. :)

And, of course we had to have a little 4th of July food.  I had every intention of making a cute fruit pizza I found on Pinterest, but I have a lot of good intentions.  Maybe next year.

Happy 4th of July to all of our American friends near and far.  Be safe and have fun!!!

Until next time,
Wendy




No comments:

Post a Comment