Vastine AdVentures

Vastine AdVentures

Monday, July 16, 2012

It's a Hard Knock Life

If you are 11 years old (or a nine year old), this is the house to live in!  It's the life of leisure I tell ya.  You get up in the morning.  Your mom makes your breakfast.  Then your mom makes your bed (because she is incredibly picky and likes the way she makes the bed.)  In the meantime, she has picked out your clothes and made sure everything you need for the day is ready to go.  You get to play most of the day, there really aren't any limits on iPod Touch time, and you pretty much get to do as you like...within reasonable limits of course.  Life is just so fun!  They are loving their mom staying home...to say the least.

So, during dinner with a  friend last night, he mentioned how his girls' job in the morning is to empty the dishwasher from the night before.  That nagging voice is my head started...."You really should make your kids do more...they need to be responsible...you can't do everything for them their entire lives."  I know these things.  I've been doing this mom thing for a while, and I was a teacher.  I should definitely know better!

Which led to today's list.

I thought I would start small.  Much of the list is things they would be doing anyway.  How hard it is to do your hair, get dressed, and brush your teeth?  Well, you would have thought I asked the kids to clean the whole house!  These are things they do most days (with the exception of piano everyday), but when in the form of a list it must have looked very intimidating.  Allison got right to it.  No problem.  She was done with everything rather quickly.  But, Thomas...he cried through half the list.  I'm not kidding.  It must have been iPod Touch withdrawal during this period of torture.  But, he did finish, except for eating.  He just hasn't been eating much for breakfast lately because he hasn't been feeling well.

I can assure you though.  There will be another list tomorrow.  And, I'm sure there will be more tears, but it's time for these two to be more responsible.  And, it's time for Mom to stick to sharing the duties and remain consistent.  We'll see how long this lasts.

Until next time,
Wendy

5 comments:

  1. Way to go, Wendy! I call these tasks "life skills", and we are doing our children a disfavor if we do not teach them! Seth has been making his bed and cleaning his room for more years than I have by now, and it hasn't hurt him one bit. He even began volunteering to run a dust cloth through the house and vacuum on Saturdays . . . hooray! Does he do it like I would? Well, no, but at least he is cleaning a bit more often than I would ever have time for! We are eager to see you when you return to the U.S.! Blessings to all!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So...I am trying not to laugh but not being very successful. Feel like I have gone back in time a bit...recalling my "chore lists" and how badly that went. After some time, the need for a list will go by the wayside as they will get used to doing those small chores without being reminded...or at least the first time they are asked. As moms we tend to want to do so much for our kiddos and that is a REALLY hard habit to break! Don't beat yourself up too bad girl...you are enjoying being a "stay at home" mom and & they are loving having you there too! You will find a balance :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfectly said Laura. Believe it or not, this sounds like just yesterday at our house when Wendy and Nicole were growing up. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thomas just got up...saw the new list...and went back to bed. LOL!! He hates this!

      Delete
  4. My 7yo taught me the "beat the timer" game this past week. Set the timer for 20-30 mins and see how much you get out of them when it's a game. Works like a dream!!!

    ReplyDelete