One of my greatest sources of anxiety upon attending ISB was the field trips the kiddos take in the spring. At our orientation for the school, during our house hunting trip, we discussed the field trips and were told that only ISB staff members were allowed to attend these trips. No parents were ever taken as chaperones. Deep breath. I'm used to having control over these sorts of school situations, but this was one situation I just had to give up to God and trust that He (and their teachers) would take good care of my babies. I knew it would be an excellent learning opportunity for both of them, but it was hard to see them go. It was especially hard with the very recent bus accident in Switzerland claiming the lives of 24 Belgian sixth graders on their journey home from their school trip. Deep breath...the day of departure had arrived.
 |
| Allison left early Monday morning on May 7th for Trier Germany. She was really very excited. |
 |
| Here she is with her good friends at ISB. We are so happy she has met so many great girls. Unfortunately, I did not get to see her depart on the bus. I had to get Thomas home for a shower and back to school on time. When Thomas came out of school on Monday afternoon he said, "I miss Allison." That was just day one and less than five minutes without her after school. They have never been apart for this long. |
 |
| On Tuesday, May 8th, it was time for Thomas to leave for the Belgian coast. This is the first overnight trip for the kids at ISB. It was so organized, and we were told exactly what to pack. Thank goodness! This trip is run very well, as is the trip to Trier. |
 |
| Thomas with some of his buddies. Sweet, sweet boys! |
 |
| Just before boarding the bus, he told me he really wasn't excited to go. I had to do everything I could to hold back the tears. From the bus, he continued to wave, blow kisses, and sign I Love You. He is such a mama's boy. |
 |
| And, there they go...off to the coast...and I had until Friday with no children. Weird feeling! |
 |
| So today, both grades would return from their trips. The third graders arrived around 1:30. The parents were very anxiously waiting for their return! |
 |
| Here they come!!! |
 |
| There he is! He was waving like crazy! |
 |
| He had the biggest smile I have ever seen. I received the greatest hug, and then I allowed myself to have tears. We were almost there. I just had to get one more home. |
 |
| He went and got his own bag and carried it to the car. He even talked about cleaning his room each day. My boy grew up a little bit more this week. |
 |
| And, around 4:15, the fifth graders arrived! |
 |
| There she is!!! |
 |
| Thomas grabbed her right away for a hug. He would never admit it, but he missed her terribly! |
 |
| I got big hugs too, but of course, I had to wait until Thomas was finished. ;) |
 |
And here they are...field trip survivors! They both enjoyed their weeks immensely! Next year, they are off to France and Italy. Thomas' trip will be in the fall, and Allison's will be in the spring. I won't worry anymore. I know they are well taken care of, and it was worth all the worry for this amazing opportunity.
Until next time, Wendy |
Wow! You are amazing. So glad they had such great trips. I am crying as I read about their arrivals. I am positive I don't have what it takes to do this. Well done, Mom!!!! Glad they are home safely. I can stop worrying (about that, anyway) now!
ReplyDeleteWow, I do not have enough Kleenex. So glad they are home safe from this wonderful experience. Tell them grandma loves them!
ReplyDeleteI'm crying too! I'm so glad they had so much fun! My favorite picture is the one of Thomas hugging Allison. So sweet! Tell them I love them. :)
ReplyDeleteBrought tears to my eyes! So glad they are home and that you all survived this time apart! So proud of you Wendy!! Hugs to the kids!
ReplyDelete