Vastine AdVentures

Vastine AdVentures

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Our First Overnight Visitors!

Tuesday morning started like any other morning in preparation for visitors.  I was running around and getting things all situated when Chris told me he was going for a run (11:00).  I'm not saying he wasn't being helpful.  He just wanted to squeeze a run in on his day off.  So, I wanted to leave by 12:15 for the train station to pick up our guests.  This would allow us more than enough time before their 1:39 train to get parked and deal with traffic if needed.  It was a 45 minute run....or so it was supposed to be.  At 12:00 (nearing departure time), I was very upset at Chris' irresponsibility.  How could he be late? I was very clear about when we were leaving, and of course he would need a shower.  At 12:15, I was beyond annoyed but knew we would still be okay time wise.  By 12:45, I was panicked!  I drove around town, twice, looking for him.  At 1:20, I called emergency.  I guess it would ease my mind if an ambulance had not been dispatched in the last two hours.  Just as I was going to tell my story to the operator, Chris rounded the corner.  What a relief!!!  He thought he would head back through the forest, which is a much more scenic route, but that turned out to be a big mistake.  So at almost 2.5 hours and 12+ miles later, he was home safe and sound.  And, we were only about 30 minutes late picking up the Wyse-Fisher family!

Dustin, Tiffany, the boys, and baby live in Northern Ireland, but they are friends from our church in Morton.  It was so much fun having them stop by on their vacation.  First stop was the Grand Place.  You have to rub the gold lady for good luck.  I still struggle with whether or not it is even a lady???  But, rub we did!

We had to go back for these two to do it also.  Sometimes they forget they aren't tourists anymore. ;)
Strolling through the streets of Brussels en route to Mannequin Pis.
After a quick look at Mannequin Pis...you only need a quick look....we just had to have waffles!  We would be terrible hosts if we didn't introduce our guests to the greatest food group in Beligum.
Whoops!  Chris was wearing his waffle.
Look at that happy face!
Family pic....Liam is snoozing down there. :)
Updated picture...my own kids haven't been down here since the week we moved to Belgium.

St. Michael's Cathedral ~ This was new to our family too!

Next up ~ Cinquantenaire Park!  It was a gorgeous day.  It gave a very false impression of real life in Belgium to our guests. :)
Family pics!

Horsey rides...and falls

It was a holiday, so the WWII museum was closed.  Good thing I looked that up ahead of time, or I would have been very disappointed upon arrival.  At least we could see the very cool planes through the window.
Ho Hum....this traveling thing is exhausting!
I missed the good splashing.  :)
I wonder what they are talking about?
Instant buddies
More yummy snacks...The four of them are headed to Brugge today where they will enjoy their first Belgian frites (French fries) with mayo.  You can't do all of the good stuff in one day!
And, some fun back at the house.  The trampoline was a big hit!  Well, not really with Liam.  But, he thought the ladder was really cool.
Miles getting some air.

The coolest thing about this visit was the fact that we have never actually done anything together or spent anytime together outside of church.  And, it was like hanging out with old friends!!  I loved touring the city, but I had an equally good time just spending time at the house, eating tacos, and talking until 12:30 A.M.  It's funny how it took moving clear across the ocean and living in two different European countries for us to be brought together.  It was such a fun time!  Thank you, Dustin and Tiffany, for making our home a stop on your adventure!  You are welcome ANYTIME!!!

Until next time,
Wendy

2 comments:

  1. It is so funny to me to see pictures of Tiffany, Dustin, and the boys in your blog since I follow her blog...and I've never seen you two together in real life. It's like two people that I knew met, even though Tiffany doesn't know me! LOL. And apparently it has been way too long since I've read Tiffany's blog because I didn't know she was pregnant!! Congrats Tiffany and family!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful that two of our deeply missed church families were able to spend some meaningful time together! Our prayers are with both of your families each and every day . . .please, continue to enjoy an amazing visit!!

    Love,

    Julie

    ReplyDelete