Hello All!
I am still without my Mac, but I am dying to share some new pictures with you. So, I am using my VERY SLOOOOOW PC to do this post. It is a dinosaur of a computer and has really decreased in speed since the move, but I'll give it a shot.
Today after church, we decided to head on up to Ghent for the day. It was less than a 45 minute drive, so we set out to see the Castle of the Counts, climb the Belfry tower, and visit St. Bavo's Cathedral. We accomplished all three, and Ghent did not disappoint. What a beautiful city...and it was beautiful on a very drab and cold Belgian day. I can't imagine what it will look like in the spring and summer. I will have to post pictures from our visits during more colorful times of the year.
Here is a shot of the Castle of the Counts which dates back to 1180. It is located right in the heart of the city.
This is our view from the top of the castle!
A couple of cuties getting a good look from the top.
A real life guillotine...after a little instruction on how this thing works, the kids realized we really aren't mean parents. Life could be so much worse...as they continued to find out after visiting the room with all of the methods of torture clearly explained. Wow!
Oops...out of order...thank you annoying computer. But, a picture I love of me and my boy.
And, the drama queen checking things out. :)
This was the room where the count worshipped. Seems kind of funny after seeing all of the torture methods. I should have looked for the room where they went for confession!
These little candies were recommended on the website I checked out 15 minutes prior to leaving for our excursion. I am really not a good planner. And, they were delicious. There were two flavors...anise and strawberry. The anise reminds me of a candy our friend Anna makes (remember the pressed cookies...same person.) I have to admit, we all loved the strawberry...so much so that we went back and bought more before we left.
The most picturesque spot in Ghent.
We found a Starbucks! Yay!!!
Here is the Belfry. Yep! We climbed that! Just below the clock is where we were able to step outside and walk around the perimeter of the tower.
Here is our view from the top of the belfry. Can you see the castle?
This is the drum that controls the bells. This drum is from 1659.
I got to tell the kids all about gargoyles and flying buttresses. It was so much fun to finally show them these things in real life and not in pictures!
Next up was St. Bavo's Cathedral. It was so beautiful. I can't even put it into words, and I can't show you because no pictures were allowed. Really?!?! You expect me to walk through this magnificent building and not take pictures. So cruel!
Oh okay, so I took two pictures. But, I didn't use the flash, and I didn't even put the camera up to my face. I'm that good! LOL!!! No harm done. How was I supposed to skip a picture of my kids lighting candles for their grandpas? You wouldn't have skipped that either!
Magnificent! But, doesn't even do it justice. When I walked in, I actually uttered...wow! I was completely in awe.
And there you have it...the beautiful Ghent. I can't wait to return and take a boat ride on the canals, sit outside at the cafes, and see all of the beautiful flowers. Spring can't get here soon enough!
In case this just wasn't enough for you :)...you can see the entire album at http://www.thevastinefamily.shutterfly.com/.
Until next time!
Wendy
I love looking at all of your pictures, Wendy. They're so beautiful! And you definitely have quite the photogenic family. :)
ReplyDelete