Vastine AdVentures

Vastine AdVentures

Friday, February 24, 2012

Never a Dull Moment

My family and Amy's family ventured out to Aqualibi today.  This is a really cool water park just 20 minutes from our house.  Check it out! http://www.walibi.com/aqualibi-landing  We bought a pass for the year because it is also good for the amusement park which has some really awesome looking roller coasters that are just the right size for my kids.  The Rapids was the kids favorite part of the water park.  It's an intense water slide type course where you walk, slide, and crash into everyone around you.  I was with the kids the first time they went down, and I just kept thinking I wasn't really sure this was something that would go over so well in the USA.  It was really fast, really dangerous, and I don't know how there aren't daily drownings.  So, after about the fourth time down, the kids decided to head over to the slides.  It was at this time that I noticed Thomas' chin was bleeding...quite a lot really.  After Amy and I had a look at it, we decided he should go to the first aid station.  Well, they looked at it for about 15 seconds, called me back to where they were looking at him, and told me he would need to go to the hospital for stitches!  Are you kidding me????!!!!!  I don't have a clue where the hospital is!....I don't even have a doctor here!  I'm not joking....it is something every day.  Thankfully, I had Amy with me.  She is so calm and cool.  She said we would head to Leuven where the hospital is located.  They had to fill out an accident report before we left.  Of course, the lifeguard really only spoke French which makes everything more interesting.  He did seem genuinely impressed that we were Americans.  Not really sure why??  I just felt so badly that we had to leave early.  Poor Mckenna didn't even have a chance to go down the slides.  To help ease the pain for all, we grabbed waffles before we left.  Amy made a call to the doctor's office in Hoeilaart, and they told her to come there first because they thought they could take care of it.  And thankfully, they could.  The doctor...Dr. Docx (sounds like docks or docs...ha!) saw him right away.  He felt that just a couple of sticky strips would do the trick.  No needles needed.  He also didn't seem to think a boy should go without a few scars.  They are boys after all. :)  But, he said that if he did a stitch it would leave more of a mark than the actual cut, so I appreciated that he went with the sticky tape route.  My little guy was so tough, and I'm really proud of him.  Here's a pic of him after all the drama.


Until next time,
Wendy

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad he didn't need stitches. And at least you got the first doctor visit out of the way when Amy was along to help! Too bad Thomas barely had time to enjoy his European swim trunks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Wendy- thanks for friending me so I can show mom pics- reading your blog I remembered how stressful it can be in a foreign country, esp with kids. Glad you had someone with you. I remember going to see a OB/GYN in Morocco when I was like 10 weeks pregnant with Michael and was losing weight and worried and I had to bring a translator- he listened to the baby with a metal thing that looked like shot pourers! What good stories and memories you're making! Have a less eventful weekend! Love Kathy

    ReplyDelete