Today is a special day. This would have been my dad's 67th birthday. He fought a long, hard battle with cancer, and on March 2nd, it will be nine years since he passed away. It was just 24 short days before Thomas was born. My dad was the most loving and kindest person. And, not to mention...he was hilarious. He used to tell the funniest jokes. There was one string of jokes he would tell in a certain voice, and well, you just couldn't listen to them without dying laughing. He was the dad that was always involved in our activities. And, he was the perfect dad of girls...easy going, soft hearted, and very very patient. He coached my softball teams and always found ways to encourage this athletically challenged girl with comments like "You're swinging like a rusty gate...or...You run like you have a piano in your butt." I'm not kidding. But, I knew it was all in fun...kind of. :) He never missed an ISU football game to watch me dance (even though it was painful for him to miss every Iowa game for the six years that Nicole and I danced at ISU.) And, he was an amazing grandpa. He loved Allison so much, and she could always make him smile...even on days when I know he didn't feel like smiling. Neither of our children were really "planned". It was more of a "Surprise, we are having a baby" moment. But, I believe Allison's perfect timing was to be healing for my dad, and Thomas was sent to be our healing after he was gone. So, Happy Birthday, Dad! I wish I could share my days with you. I wish I had appreciated every moment that we had together. But, we will be together again, and I can't wait to see your crooked grin.
Love you always....Wendy



made me cry - hugs to you!
ReplyDeleteRobin
Awww...this is just so sweet Wendy. I'm so thankful you have such wonderful memories. A dad is such a blessings to us girls and to have such a great one makes it even that much better! He is looking down at you every day and smiling. He must be very, very proud of you!
ReplyDeleteWow Wendy - what a special tribute to your dad today. The tears are streaming down my face. Your words are so very touching. How wonderful to have such special and fun memories to hold onto - especially on a day like today! Wish I could give you a hug! Instead we'll say an extra prayer for you today! Love ya!
ReplyDeleteWonderful memories! Your dad was an awesome father...I remember that smile and those jokes. We will toast a wonderful man today!
ReplyDelete