Vastine AdVentures

Vastine AdVentures

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Belgian Art

I think one of the things that has surprised me the most about Belgium is the amount of graffiti.  There are rarely signs, cement, or stones that are without ink on them.  It certainly makes the country, in my opinion, look more run down.  The kids are fascinated by it, but they also think the "artists" are naughty. :)  This picture was taken at the bottom of the hill from the kids' school.  This is where I park before getting them at the end of the day.

Tonight, we stopped and bought dinner from the Chicken Man in Overijse.  Their truck is there twice a week. and they sell chicken and ribs and the most delicious potatoes (see Tiffany...I'm going with your diet.)  And, it was less than 20 euros for two rotisserie chickens and 800 grams of potatoes.  What a deal!  This picture qualifies as the "art of food".

And, this is my favorite picture so far on the trip..."my art".  We took Flat Stanley to the Chateau de la Hulpe.  This is just 3 km from our house, and you may recall the pictures of this estate from our house hunting trip.  The kids enjoyed walking around the grounds after school on Monday.

Allison presented her book report today.  She wrote a poem for Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, and then sang it to the tune of Party Rock Anthem.  It was great!  Written papers and posters aren't original enough here.  This was her teacher's suggestion.  It only took her five hours on Saturday...ugh!  But, her class loved it, the boys were impressed with her rapping skills, and it was voted one of the top presentations in the class.  She was beaming after school.

I attended a champagne brunch at school today.  Yes, I did have one glass.  I've never had a drink at school before.  I met some really interesting and fun women, and for the first time, I really felt a part of the school.

We have been invited back to the commune to continue our quest for residence cards.  Hopefully tomorrow, we will be one step closer.  Thankfully, we have heard that Hoeilaart is one of the quicker communes.

And, I am officially the owner of a Volvo S60.  But, I can't have it yet because you have to wait for your license plates which are dependent on your residence card.  And, you only get one plate, so you have to have a second one made.  And of course, you can't drive the car without two plates.  It's just so Belgium.  

Until next time,
Wendy

1 comment: