Vastine AdVentures

Vastine AdVentures

Monday, January 9, 2012

First Day of School

Well, perhaps my expectations for the first day of school were a little high.  I was hoping they would go to school, meet a ton of new friends, love their teachers, and think this was the greatest school ever....Ha!  Nice try!  Chris and I took the kids to school this morning.  It was still dark and felt a little strange to be out and about in the morning in complete darkness.  Thomas told us that he was very nervous, but Allison seems completely comfortable with everything.  Here they are all ready to go for the day.

 Representing the Bears with the backpack and lunch box.

That is a whole lot of sass right there....

We all sat together for a bit in the reception area, had some drinks, chatted with a couple other parents, and then the admissions director said she was ready to take the kids to their classrooms.  What!?!  So soon!  And, she didn't need to me to go.  I was just sending my babies off with these people.  I don't know what their teachers look like...I don't know where their classrooms are located....what if the zippers on their coats get stuck?....I had a moment of freak out (internally of course.)  Allison was completely fine with it and told us she didn't need us to come with them.  Thomas looked a bit more panicked, but I put on my game face and kissed them both, told them how much I loved them, and I would see them right when they got home on the bus.  And...off they went.  There were several mothers, all a part of the Family Organization, there to talk with us and answer any questions.  They were very welcoming, and they really made us feel at ease about everything.  It wasn't until I got to the car that I was able to just let it all out.  There were many tears, but after an egg mcmuffin, I was feeling much better.  Chris took me home, and then off to work he went.  Thus begins my new life....I spent a little time on Facebook, chatted with Andrea on the phone, and then went to work on the scrapbook room.  I was quickly distracted by Allison's unfinished room and decided to work in there and get it finished for her.  

And here it is...there is so much Justin Bieber stuff in there...kind of takes me back to my Duran Duran bedroom in 1985.


I also made ANOTHER trip to the grocery store.  I'm trying to only go there every other day.  As I was getting my boots on to trek to the bus stop, Thomas was standing at the front door.  They were dropped off at our driveway!  How nice!  Thomas immediately seemed very happy.  And then Allison walked through the door.  She had the look.  You know...the one where she is going to combust at any moment.  And, then the tears started.  She hated it...she got the "gross" locker (according to all the other kids.)  It's smaller, next to a vent, has a broken bottom, no shelf, and it leaks water (it does sound crappy.)  French was impossible, and she had no idea what to do on the worksheet.  The bus smells, and the driver doesn't speak English.  Her P.E. uniform is so big that it looks like a dress.  And, she can't start violin until she has private lessons set up that will run us 25 euros per half hour (choking!)  That's when I took her straight to the couch, and all we did was hug.  After a few minutes, she said she did have the greatest teacher, and she did mention some girls that were really nice to her, and she was going to wear jeans tomorrow because she looked like a nerd all dressed up.  Little by little...she seemed to improve.  Hopefully, I will get her on the bus tomorrow.

Thomas thought it was great...he has a best friend at school...and his teacher is really nice....Gosh, I love boys!!!

Until next time,
Wendy

9 comments:

  1. I'm totally crying. I feel for Allison! It's got to be hard....but tomorrow WILL be better! Give her a little hug for me and let her know that God will be with her and He will make everything just fine!
    Glad things were good for Thomas! Boys are great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for her, boys are so much easier because boys are so much nicer! lol! I hope she finds a bestie tomorrow! tell her to smile at the bus driver and say hi!! I always like that!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The tears are running down my face...poor little one! I am glad that she seemed better after getting it out. Praying that the morning runs smoothly for all of you! Stay strong Mamma!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a "CAT kid" I know exactly how Allison feels. We never moved overseas (we had offers but it was when I was in high school and I refused to move...though I wouldn't mind if my parents went now so they could bring me over to visit!! haha) but we did move when I was in 5th grade and 7th grade-tough times! I was always jealous of how easy it was for my younger brother to adjust. I didn't talk to my dad for 2 months when he moved me in 7th grade. I was so mad that I had to leave my friends and everything that was so...comfortable. I'm not an outgoing person, but I had to learn to be if I wanted to have some sort of normal (friends and what not) in my life. I never really got to know Allison (@ Pumpkin Place or Lincoln) but if she has half of your upbeat personality I'm sure she will do just fine! I did get tears in my eyes reading your post though...it definitely took me back to those tough years and the friends that I still miss! I know families that were in Tokyo, London, and somewhere in South Africa...they all worried about the transition at first but eventually LOVED the experience. Good luck with everything!!

    Caitlyn (Anderson)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh, so feeling for all of you. We need to find a way for Allison and Sammy to talk. While we didn't move overseas, she did have to switch schools last year and it was tough for her. Maybe they could swap stories. Praying for a restful night for all and a bright outlook for tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too am sitting here reading this and crying. I can't imagine that transition. Hang in there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too had tears in my eyes reading this...tears for Allison and you! We'll say a special prayer tonight that all goes well tomorrow and each new day! Hugs to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Wendy, you make me laugh! You have such a way with words! I'm telling you, you should be a writer! Poor Allison, I will pray for her and I'm sure she will enjoy tomorrow much more. Way to go Thomas! Sounds like a great 1st day! And by the way, Allison's room looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also had tears in my eyes! I'll pray that Allison has better day and that they both adjust well to this huge transition. I can't imagine! You did a great job on Allison's room! Love reading of all these new things and experiences you all are having

    ReplyDelete