Vastine AdVentures

Vastine AdVentures

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Some Step...I Jump!

I consider myself a shy person...stop laughing...I really am shy!  I struggle with being the first one to make the move in a conversation.  I assume people don't remember me, or maybe they just don't want to talk to me.  So today, I did something that really isn't typical for me.  

I was at the Delhaize (grocery store) and was chatting with the clerk that was ringing up my groceries.  She spoke outstanding English.  Apparently, we were talking loud enough for others to hear.  When leaving, a woman stopped me and said, "You're an American!"  I don't think I even need to speak, and it is abundantly clear that I am an American.  But, I informed her that I was, and we chatted about her daughter living in Illinois, how long she has lived in Belgium, and our experience in Belgium thus far.  And then, she invited me for coffee...AT HER HOUSE!  Honestly, I was stricken with terror...I don't even know this person!  Well, I tried to use the "I have milk that needs to stay cold" excuse, but she said I was more than welcome to put the milk in her fridge while we had coffee (uh, I don't drink coffee.)  Soooo.....I WENT!  I thought...What the heck, and I went!  This was probably one of the most out of the box things I have ever done.  Some people step out of the box...but today...I felt like I jumped!!!  My new friend Gwen has two grown children that live in the states.  She is married to a man from Norway that she met when she was an exchange student in Russia.  They have a home in Norway, Vermont, and Arizona.  She attended the University of Illinois and struck me as brilliant!  And, she was so very nice, and she makes a good cup of coffee.  I think Gwen will be a great friend and resource here in Belgium.  It's funny how God brings people into your lives.  Today, He made sure that Gwen and I were both grocery shopping in Overijse, Belgium.  Funny how those things work....

I can't do a blog post without a picture, so here are the kids.  They were all finished with homework and piano, and they finally had time to relax.  Allison actually let Thomas sit on her bed, and even though they weren't really talking, they didn't need to.  They were just enjoying time together.  That makes this mom pretty happy.


Until next time,
Wendy

9 comments:

  1. WOW!!!
    Great job!!!! So proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you Wendy! Love reading your blog! Cheryl L.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is the most awesome thing I have heard!!! yeah God!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is very cool, Wendy! I am like you described yourself as, and I would have been nervous too. Good for you taking that jump!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a great story Wendy! So happy for you - God is such a good God and now Gwen sounds like a good friend! Go get em! (And I've never ever thought about you as shy!!)

    Hugs
    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well that sounds like an awesome day! Next time you see Gwen, tell her I said thanks for keeping my sister company. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Im the same exact way, I really am a very nice person and love to make new friends but I dont know if I come across snooty because I dont initiate conversations with people I dont know. I am so shy that I rarely will make a first move, or do something like this - That took courage and you should be so proud of yourself!!! I would have totally used the groceries/cold excuse too to just get me out of the situation, simply because I would be so nervous going. Doing things out of our comfort zone - Not easy. Great blog, Im sure it will inspire some of us too to step out. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just got goosebumps reading your blog! Way to jump out of your comfort zone and go for coffee!!! I truly believe people come into your life for a reason! Gwen might end up being an awesome friend to you!!! Love and hugs across the miles!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Wendy, Chris, Allison, and Thomas,
    Oh, how I look forward each day to reading about your trials and your triumphs! I share your adventures each evening with Scott and Seth at our supper table, and we hope that you sense the prayers uttered on your family's behalf each Wednesday evening at Kid'z Zone and Sunday morning at New Generation Worship!
    Way to go, Wendy! You did right by trusting God to provide a wonderful new friend for you in a most ordinary place . . .the grocery store! It reminded me of a time that I trusted in the goodness of a stranger in Cologne, Germany, in 1979. Our student group had just attended a lovely worship service at the Cologne Dom, and then our professor "set us free" for the remainder of the day. Another student and I set out to explore this beautiful place on our own, when we encountered a very kind, elderly gentleman who could tell that we were not German natives! He was very, very proud of his city, and he invited us to visit a museum of history which we probably would not have even thought of exploring, and he insisted on paying our entry fee!! He was an engineer by trade, retired, widowed, and wonderful company . . .our very own, educated guide!! I corresponded with him until his death, and I shall always remember his kindness and warmth. I know that you and Gwen will be good friends for life, too!
    By the way, I am so glad that you tried the coffee at Gwen's! Believe me, the Europeans make coffee the world's best coffee. You picked a great place to form a new habit!! Blessings to all of you!!

    In Christ,

    Julie Largent

    ReplyDelete