Yesterday, we had our first round of conferences at ISB. It was a bit of a different format, and one that I really liked and thought I would share...especially for my teacher friends out there. Each student presented their portfolio for about 30 minutes. Thomas had a folder that contained work he had reflected on in class. Allison presented her information with a Powerpoint presentation using her tablet. Each student has their own in class. Allison took about 25 minutes to share her information and Thomas about 15 minutes...classic birth order. In this time frame, you could also visit with other teachers, so we went to speak with their French teachers. For the next 20 minutes, you had that time to speak with their homeroom teachers. I am happy to report that both kids are doing great! The teachers are very pleased with their peer relationships, how they have adjusted to life in Belgium and ISB, and academically they are doing great. Phew! It is also important to mention that they are not graded on a 90-80-70-60 scale. They are given a 1-5 on assignments...with 5 being the best. A 3 is considered at grade level...not a C. And, at this conference, grades were not even discussed. They will not get a report card until June. It's all very different from what we are used to, but they are learning so much, and I couldn't be more proud.
Here's our girl sharing her information with us!
And, I didn't get a shot of Thomas. What kind of mother forgets things like that?! :)
At 11:00, and during Allison's conference, everyone at the school had to go to the hall for a minute of silence for the Belgians who were tragically killed in the bus accident on Tuesday in Switzerland. It was difficult for me to regroup after that and return for the conference, but I felt so blessed to be sitting at that conference and not facing the difficulties that 22 parents are facing with the loss of their kids. So very sad....
At 11:00, and during Allison's conference, everyone at the school had to go to the hall for a minute of silence for the Belgians who were tragically killed in the bus accident on Tuesday in Switzerland. It was difficult for me to regroup after that and return for the conference, but I felt so blessed to be sitting at that conference and not facing the difficulties that 22 parents are facing with the loss of their kids. So very sad....
Until next time,
Wendy
No comments:
Post a Comment