Vastine AdVentures

Vastine AdVentures

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Abbaye de Villers-la-Ville

Chris had to work today, so the kids and I traveled about a half hour south to Villers Abbey.  They were reluctant to go because they think sitting around and playing the iPod Touch is loads more fun, but I think otherwise.  So, off we went.  And, dare I say...I think they had a good time!  I think the pictures speak for themselves.  What a cool place to visit!

The kids are standing in front of the Monk's Refectory that was constructed during the 13th Century!
The Monk's Refectory then....
And, now! 
We moved on to the church.  This was so impressive! 

Construction on the church began in 1197.  I wish my kids could wrap their brains around how old this place really is! 
It is 100 yards long and the vaults reach 70 feet high.





This is what the church looked like back in the good old days.







Climbing around the guest quarters. 
A view of the abbey from the guest quarters.

I love the flowers popping up all over.  Spring is finally here! 
The doorways were really short!



Here is the front of the church...from the outside.  I'm so glad we continued walking around, so we didn't miss this view.  Can you see Thomas in the picture? 


It can be challenging to get a decent picture...he literally jumped through the picture.  Check out Allison's eyes.  LOL!



Even though it was a dreary day, it was so worth dragging the kids out of the house.  The highlight of our evening was a trip to Chi-Chi's in Waterloo.  The food was delicious (but very expensive) and the mariachi duo was fantastic!  What a great night.  Now, I am going to try and stay up to watch Kentucky vs. Louisville.  Wish me luck!

Until next time,
Wendy

1 comment:

  1. How magnificent ....it is beautiful! You guys are so fortunate to have these amazing experiences
    Thought I saw you driving in your minivan yesterday and got all happy....then a quick blink back to reality and I knew you are far away. I really really miss your brighten - your - day smile and having the kids come down to talk with all of us. Xo

    ReplyDelete