Yesterday, along with two friends, I finally went to Cinquantenaire Park. We were on a little photography excursion...for me that means put your camera on "auto" and hope for the best. Oh, I did shoot some in "manual", but I have much to learn. When I uploaded the pictures, Allison excitedly told me she had been there! Who knew?? The fifth graders went to the military museum several weeks ago, and I didn't know, until yesterday, that it was one of the buildings next to the arch. Oh the things you learn!
In 1880, Belgium celebrated 50 years of independence (they've been run by just about everyone.) Most buildings of the U-shaped complex which dominate the park were commissioned by King Leopold II and built for the 1880 National Exhibition commemorating the fiftieth anniversary of Belgian independence. The centrepiece triumphal arch was erected in 1905....thank you Wikipedia!
On a side note, Chris will be doing the 20K in Brussels in May, and this is where it begins.
And here is Cinquantenaire Park, and the beautiful sunshine in Brussels!
| Did you know you can click on these pictures to make them larger? Just wanted to be sure you knew that. :) |
| I loved the detail in the arch. |
| Booty shot...mature...I know... |
| Busy, busy Brussels |
| |
![]() |
| LOVE the sunshine! |
| I often have the Stanleys with me. They thought the waffles were awesome! But now, I have to call them gaufres to practice my Francais! |
I'm so glad I was able to visit the park on such a gorgeous day! I wonder where we should go next?? Hmmmmm....
Until next time,
Wendy





Musical Instruments Museum downtown- awesome museum!! or Park Woluwe, beautiful!
ReplyDeleteBekah, such great suggestions! Planning to take my mom to the MIM. I heard it's the best view of Brussels. Can't wait!
Delete